Winter bloomers

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by purpleinopp, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I only have two blooming indoors,..Christmas Cactus and the Amaryllis,..Royal Red",..the latter you will all have view maybe too much at this stage,..however it had four blooms on one stem and six blooms on the other.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell and purpleinopp like this.
  2. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

This peach/orange flower is open today, also has the 'stripes' like the red one.

[​IMG]
    Schlumbergera truncata. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Jewell, Donna S and Philip Nulty like this.
  3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Another gorgeous color!

4. purpleinopp

Philip, don't know how I missed your post when adding the pic this morning. My last looks just like yours! No such thing as too many flower pics, IMVHO. I love potted Ams blooming now. They are hardy & bloom in April/May here.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. purpleinopp

Looks like this Billbergia is going to make a flower.

[​IMG]
    Billbergia flower bud ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

And for some reason, this tiny recent cutting of Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is the first to manage an open bloom though there are many bigger ones (the mamas) covered with blooms not quite as ready. Ha! Silly little thing, so cute!

[​IMG]
    Kalanchoe blossfeldiana cutting with 4 leaves making flowers. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Jewell and Philip Nulty like this.
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Purpleinopp,..lol,..it happens to me often,..time zone and all that.

Your Schlumbergera truncata. is a beauty,..i am always amazed at the combined colours and how they contrast so well.

7. cherylad

Hey Purple... My Bilbergia is just now showing off...

[​IMG]
    Bilbergia -queen's tears ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

8. purpleinopp

That's soooo pretty!!! The flowers look hand-painted. TY for sharing. Is it potted or in ground?

9. cherylad

It's potted.
    But I have to tell you. Last spring when I had some just taking over a pot and I had given starts to everyone I knew... There was a chunk left over.
    I toss it behind a wooden panel fence that seperates our land from the neighbors.. Didn't plant them... just threw them there. And guess what? They're blooming too!

purpleinopp likes this.
  10. purpleinopp

TY for the info! That's way cool! Pretty sure you've had a frost there, yes? The hardiness info out there about these is confusing. So it sounds like the 'fence plant' isn't actually in the ground?

The pic I showed is a pot of cuttings I got in trade barely a month ago. I also got some larger pieces at a swap around 2 months ago and put them in my best 'sheltered spot' outside. I didn't see any buds yesterday, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. It's dappled light in the summer, hope they decide it's a good spot. After reading so much more about them since I brought the first ones home and 'planted' them in the ground, I'm glad I happened to put them under the eave of the roof. Since I put the base in the soil a few inches, hopefully the way most of the water is deflected against the wall there will help them not rot. It's a pretty dry corner anyway since a big tree deflects most of the water outside of its' drip line.

When you water, do you pour some in the 'cup?' It seems like there's plenty of plants out there that people don't even realize aren't 'regular' type plants but treat them as such and they look great anyway. Maybe Billbergia just isn't as 'serious' about being epiphytic as similar cousins like Tillandia.

Just noticed another 'chunk' is making a bud.
    [​IMG]
    Billbergia buds ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

This is cheating since I just got it (on clearance for .50 at L's Monday.)
    [​IMG]
    Schlumbergera truncata. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Jewell likes this.
  11. cherylad

Purple... yes we've had several frosts and one pretty heavy one. I guess it's pretty protected back there. I'll get a photo of it over the weekend. And no, it's not planted... just laying there on top of the ground. I'm gonna leave it there over the winter and then either plant it or pot it up.
    I don't do anything special for mine. It typically hangs in the Mimosa tree, so it does get some water in the cup whenever it rains. I brought it inside when we were expecting that heavy frost. It'll probably stay right there until Spring.
    I was at Lowes yesterday getting some mulch. Wish they'd put their Christmas Cactus on sale... I'd like to get a yellow one. And at 50c too!

purpleinopp likes this.
  12. purpleinopp

IKR! I got 7 little plants for $3.50. All ones that looked like the buds were not pink or red like I already have but it's impossible to say what's under the whitish looking outer part until one opens. That pale peach is interesting. I'd already told myself all of the buds were going to fall off when I repotted these guys but that one stuck in there to finish blooming. Cool. I'm hoping for some yellow too, white, anything different.

TY again for the info about your Bills! I hope I don't rot these things like I'm so prone to doing with any kind of plant. I'm recovering though, trying to inform myself & change my old backward ways.

13. cherylad

Here's the Bilbergia that I tried tossing out.

[​IMG]
    what's that behind the fence? ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Just laying there as happy as can be ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

purpleinopp likes this.
  14. purpleinopp

It's Mikey, they like it, they really like it. Hahaha! TY for the pics. Laying on the ground can't stop those from being beautiful!

Kalanchoe blooms more wide open now:
    [​IMG]
    Kalanchoe x houghtonii ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Begonia cuttings taken just before frost:
    [​IMG]
    Begonia cuttings getting a little too dry, but making some flowers. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Portulaca cuttings from same time:
    [​IMG]
    Portulaca cutting eeking out a lil' bloom. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

15. cherylad

My Mom's old Kalanchoes are full of buds. As long as I keep them protected from frost, they should be blooming in a couple of weeks.
    I have one Begonia still blooming.

[​IMG]
    Begonia ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And an Impatien still producing.

[​IMG]
    Impatiens ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

purpleinopp likes this.