Winter pet tip!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Capt Kirk, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

We have 5 outdoor cats. One lives up at the house in front of us, And only comes back to eat and drink. She is the mother of the four that live back here. But she doesn't get along with her kids! We bought a heated water bowl for this winter. We got it from the Tractor Supply Co. It has a thermostat and comes on when it gets below 40 deg. F. and shuts off above that. It's big enough that all 5 cats could drink from it at once. It holds about 1 gal. of water. I was surprised how much they drink. We have to put about 1/2 gal a day in it.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Dirtmechanic
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. jbest123
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Captain, open water is the one most important things for wildlife's (or cats') survival during winter. They can find food, but open water is much harder to find. The cats are fortunate to have you providing something so very essential to their survival.
    We have one heated watering station for the hens. It is much as you describe, except we just plug it in when we think the temps will go below freezing. For the wild birds, I just take a teakettle of hot water out and pour it on the frozen water in their watering stations. It thaws enough they can get a drink and if the water freezes over again, I just heat up my teakettle again!