Winter-sowing (new to me)

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by calinromania, Dec 15, 2011.

1. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

OK. I got tons of seeds and most should take freezing temps well thus suitable for wintersowing.
    Anything that I've done close to this was sowing in pots, on my balcony, but it doesn't freeze over there.
    I'd like to try it OUTSIDE.
    My questions are:
    1. OK to start around 26-28 DEC ?
    2. Potting mix (mixed) with sifted sand for better drainage is OK ?
    3. Will use 5 Liter plastic containers for water. Will cut in half, drill some holes in the bottom. Question: After sowing the seeds and covering them a little, and water a little, should I tape back the top part (cap on? ) ??? Or should rain and snow get in?
    4. Will use trays, recyclable plastic trays or something. But do I place the pots directly on the ground or elevate them a bit?

I got tons of Cardiocrinum giganteum seeds. I wanna wintersow these two. But... as I have tried to germinate them in the past with no success I wonder if anyone, anywhere has EVER germinated these seeds.
    It's like... the plant produces hundred of seeds but I have never seen a post or a picture of SEEDLINGS... only bulbils around the big bulb, etc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

im overwintering for the first time this year also and still very new to the idea . . . the only advice i could give is not to put your pots on the floor, raise your pots if possible as all manner of creepy crawlies get in the holes on the bottom of your pots :)

3. donm

donm In Flower

Info on cardiocrinum giganteum.
    http://www.redhaugh.plus.com/GardenOpening/cardio.htm

I have been wintersowing for six or seven years. I use this site:

http://www.wintersown.org/

I winter sow my perennials in January and February. My annuals in March and April.

If you are using milk jugs or soda bottles throw the caps away. You want rain and snow to get into the bottle. I set my bottles and jugs on the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above is the way I used to cut my jugs and bottles. This year I will cut them four inches up from the bottom on the two opposite sides of the handle. The handle sides will be the hinge. I will fill the four inch bottom with potting soil, put the seeds on top (I don't cover seeds), put the top down, put a piece of duct tape to hold the top and bottom together. Make sure to put a few drainage holes in the bottom and throw the caps away.

The old way I cut the jugs, I had to have a plastic bag over the jug or bottle with a hole over the opening.

I start almost all my plants this way. Trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, roses, lilies, tomatoes, watermelons, etc. The watermelons and pumpkins etc. I start in April.

Any questions ask or PM me.

Don

Frank likes this.
  4. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Wow Don, I also am just beginning to winter sow. Your photographs and instructions will help me quite a bit. I also found quite a few videos on Youtube, but it's hard to tell which are worthwhile at just a glance. One question...you have so many milk jugs...do you store them until the next use or simply recycle and start collecting all over again. My basement shelves are getting full of the empty milk and juice jugs.

Advertisement
  5. donm

donm In Flower

I keep them outside. I can use them two years. Then they become brittle. My neighbors had three sons and then a set of twin girls and this year a son. They use six gallons of milk a week. I can get all the jugs I need.

Don

katfar3 likes this.
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is so very cool. I am going to recycling tomorrow. They let me take gallon milk jugs our all the time. I use them for chicken feeders. The chickens waste so very little with those feeders.

Barb in Pa.