Winter Squash in Chili and....?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Jewell, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    A friend told me that she adds winter squash to her chili recipes. Had to cook up some tomatoes so used up some left over squash as I made it into chili soup. Hadn't ever thought of using winter squash this way.

Any other suggestions for winter squash recipes? I've giving a lot away, but still have a lot left, so am looking for unusual recipes for the squash. Wondering what other savory recipes are out there.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know you'd rather have personal recipes Jewell but coming from Scotland I don't have any I'm afraid. The best I could do for you was to find these on the net:

http://www.yummly.co.uk/recipes/savory-acorn-squash

I hope there are some that you can use or adapt.

4. Jewell

Thanks for the link Eileen. There were some new to me combinations I would not have thought of trying. What a great selection of cooking ideas :stew2:

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I don't know the difference in Winter or Summer Squash and I have always disliked it BUT this year I learned how to grill a Yellow Squash and Zucchini Squash.

They are delicious done that way. I have used the outside grill and my stove top cast iron grill that goes on my gas stove. Both ways with evoo, s&p I love it.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Barb, grilling is the only way I'll eat summer squash (the two you mention are summer squash).

I've always been very noncommittal to winter squash except for pumpkin pie filling. This year having accidentally grown about 8 varieties I am surprised on the differences in taste and texture between different varieties.

Since I am gluten intolerant finding out I can use it as a healthy thickening was a happy coincidence.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So, I usually grow squash and zucchini just for my chickens. :D :D We put it in whole. Don't even cut them anymore. They love all of them.

Now I save out the very young ones for us. :D I will grow more of them next year.

I bought these "fingerling egg plant" the other day. They are marbled white and purple. Very cute. I selected the smaller and slim ones. I will grill them tonight to see if we like them.