Winterhouse Problem - Too much "puddling" - Need help

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by cherylad, Nov 26, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Winterhouse Problem - Too much "puddling" - Need h

For anyone that has missed my construction of a "winterhouse" here's the previous thread:
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about31232.html

I'm having problems with water "puddling". I ran nylon string across the top... I think about 600 feet of it (the frame is 21x6 ft). And it's still not keeping the water from puddling... mainly at the lower end. I just don't think there's enough slope and I'm not sure I can make it slope any more because of the angle of the connections.
    So, I've been trying to think of a solution. It was mentioned earlier that I lay lattice on top. I believe the standard size is 4x8 ft. I can't recall right off hand the distance between the rails.... so will have to get out there and measure over the weekend to see if I can make that work. They run about $14 a piece.
    Or, another thought I had was simply to put a few small holes and just let the water drain through. But I don't want the tarp to tear. When I was shopping for the tarp and frame accessories, I noticed there is a kit for making grommet holes. I think that would keep it from tearing? Anybody ever tried it?
    Or... if anyone else has some suggestions... I'd be happy to hear them!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I may not have THE answer for you on this, but I do have a suggestion:

You could buy some chicken wire and span 2 or 3 bands across the cross bars on top of your frame.(First remove the white cloth).

After securing the bands of chicken-wire to the frame, then place the white cloth back on top of the chicken wire and see if this will prevent the sagging reservoirs of water.

Good luck with this, nice person.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. cherylad

Chicken wire... I hadn't thought of that. And there might even be some laying around here.
    Thanks for the suggestion Sjoerd! :kiss:
    Any body else wants a smooch for helping me figure this out? :stew2:

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heyyyyyyyy??!!! :oops: :-D

Jeeeez Cheryl, thanks for the peck on thuh cheek. Heck, I'm going to start making more suggestions. hahaha.

I just hope the idea works for you.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

cherylad, The roof pitch on your winterhouse is not enough. Your little roof pitch should be the same as your garage. If the chicken wire does not work you may want to address this idea.

Also I would make sure all the ends of the plastic are very tight.

Hoping for a smooch and peck on the cheek too. ;)

7. cherylad

Barb.... I don't think I can change the pitch. The pipe connections only come in one angle. That's the best I could get with the size I had to stay within.
    And you're right about keeping the ends tight. With the wet ground, some of the tent stakes pull out of the ground. I'm going to buy some better ones today.
    I'm also going to pick up a grommet making pack. Still not sure if I'll use it for drainage, but I would like to add some more to the back side that's attached to the building.
    So thanks for the suggestion.... and here's your smooch too! :kiss:

8. waretrop

They come in 22, 45 and 90 degree angles if the wire doesn't work.

Thanks. I am the smoochiest person so they are very welcomed coming this way... :smt055

9. cherylad

Barb... I didn't have a choice when I ordered them. OR... I didn't notice that they did. I'm gonna go back and look.
    And... no... you can't have another smooch! :-D

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Old patio screen doors or window screen work for me. If corners are sharp duck tape them.

11. cherylad

Thanks Donna. I am concerned about the sharp edges/corners. That's why I'm shying away from the lattice.

And Barb... I checked back with the place where I ordered all the pieces... they don't offer choices of angles. :'(

12. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A thought about puddles, with apologies to the ancient Romans. Ancient Romans were experts at moving water….even uphill. Try installing a wick in the areas that accumulate water, have the wick go over the edge and partway down the side. The water should follow the wick and the puddle area should remain free of accumulated water.

Jerry

13. cherylad

Jerry... what type of wick? What's it made of and how big does it need to be?
    Or are you just making this up to get a smooch? :D

I should have taken a picture of the thing when I got home this evening... all of the tent stakes were ripped out of the ground and I had to use a bucket to get the water out of one of the puddles.... it had to be 10 gallons or more just in that one spot.
    With the last rain it didn't get this bad even with less string/rope.
    I blame this mini-disaster on the ground being so wet, and using inferior tent stakes.
    I can't do anything about the ground, but I did replace the stakes today. Hoping that will help keep the tarp tightly in place.

14. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The wick can be any cloth that will saturate itself with water. The size depends on the rate of flow needed. It needs to be thick, like a piece of rolled up old sheet or a towel. Insert one end in the puddle, drape the wick over the edge, the end has to be below the entire puddle to work. Romans used siphons to transport water in difficult terrain but the wick principle is the same. As a corroborating experiment, you can try this in a sink: take a container of water, insert a wick with one end in water and the other end below the container. The container of water will empty into the sink.

Jerry

15. waretrop

Jerry, I don't think it will wick quickly enough.

cherylad, I don't think the stakes would have ripped out if the 10 gallons of water weren't sitting up there.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=pipe+45+deg ... ree+elbow#!

These things are all "trial and error". Don't give up cherylad and you will be an expert by next Winter.

I have a, what should be all glass greenhouse attached to my house. It is my hot tub room on a cement slab. We never got the glass in thee metal frame so we put a double layer of plastic on it. It worked for the first year but not the second.. This year we put a new layer on it and next year I will get that glass in it for sure.

It did exactly what yours did. We couldn't put chicken wire there but we did keep putting sticks of wood in the place where it began to sag. What a mess....

I do understand......Good luck.

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, I know that lowes and HD sell a corrugated opaque roof/siding panel that you could try. Maybe drill holes through it and fasten it to the frame and put the plastic back on. Use it as the support on top of the frame so that the rain runs off, but you can still get light through the top. Or try a lightweight greenhouse "corrugated" plastic, (name brand is called Lexan) for the same purpose. I sure hope you find a quick solution, though. good luck.