World food shortages.. The importance of the vege plot

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by LucillaCaprina, Feb 3, 2012.

1. LucillaCaprina

LucillaCaprina New Seed

"To keep up with population growth, more food will have to be produced worldwide over the next 50 years than has been during the past 10,000 years combined." Roger Doiron.

There is a talk on ted.com by this guy, he talks of the importance of growing your own food. I think some of you folks would like to see it.

It's a scary thought.

2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

A most interesting topic indeed. I myself often used to worry about this exact thing when I was a very little kid (way back in the early 1980s). I even used to have nightmares regarding this problem (which amazingly no one else saw coming at the time)...

In my early teens, I got to see Charlton Heston's film Soylent Green. Which gave me goosebumps. Than I also got to see Silent Running - Which I still believe is how the future will turn out to be (at least for me anyway).

Silent Running:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckJBvl_uT0v=TckJBvl_uT0

4. LucillaCaprina

LucillaCaprina New Seed

Just had a look at the trailer. That is pretty bleak! I am more optimistic than that but only slightly (= ... Do you grow food or flowers? What do you do in the garden?

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mother Nature has a way of balancing things out. Either the food supply will grow exponentially, or the population will decline. My bet is on the population.
    However, those of us who can grow, might grow a little extra. There are many who cannot physically grow food, or don't have the opportunity. If we all do what we can to get food to the hungry, we may give the food supply a slight boost.

6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Dear LucillaCaprina,

Yes I do grown my own food (initially I did so out of fear from chemical pesticides which are sprayed on all farm produce)... But later I really started enjoying growing my own food better then just planting flowers and others plants which only looked good.

Out of fear of poisonous snakes (which are very common in my area) - I became a rooftop gardener. Currently I am experimenting with ideas of square foot gardening (see video below). :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Lu-7FIj_g

Now as regards the subject, well, I am not at all optimistic about the direction humanity is being forced to go in (due to bad leadership all over the planet now)... But I have heard that the Kew Gardens in UK have now built a global seed bank. So I guess things are not so bad. But judging from recent history, I doubt if anything for anyone will ever be done in time.

Also, big companies are now taking out copyrights and patents on genetically modified crops - And actively prosecuting neighboring farmers for "stealing" their product due to cross pollination. basically, this is just another new way to steal from the hardworking simple folk. And now add to this the new seedless crops, which will insure that everyone will now be forced to buy seeds only from the giant agriculture companies - Makes me look towards the future with the utmost disgust! See this video too, in order to gain an idea of what's to come...

http://youtu.be/1H9WZGKQeYg

Only the people who know how to help themselves will survive in the coming days. Rest will either be enslaved by warlords. Or forever remain on the run... Si vis pacem, para bellum - A Latin adage translated as: "If you wish for peace, prepare for war". :smt067