Worst plant pests in your area, and their cures?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by gardengater, Apr 24, 2009.

1. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have snails really bad I used beer but I didn't notice any missing so I got snail and slug bait it has killed lots.I hoped it would kill the 2 peacoks but no. :) and an armadillo or 2 diggind and messing up the yard.

2. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Thanks for your responses!

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Slugs and lily beetles. The deer are fenced out, so they're bothering the neighbours instead of us. :D

The lily beetles get crushed and the slugs and snails are mercilessly murdered.

4. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

I'm a big fan of the organic insecticidal soap, but it works best as a preventative measure. The Aphids went insane on a surprise rose bush a previous tenant planted. The soap didn't do much... I know it's blasphemous, but I'm not huge into roses. So I've been letting them do their thing while spraying my other plants and it's worked like a charm.

Ants are a big problem in potted plants here, they like to build little nests in the bottom. A sprinkle of ground Cinnamon (weird, huh?) keeps them away.

I still haven't tried beer for slugs, but really need to.

I've also noticed an assortment of beetles in the newly tilled soil. This worries me...

Advertisement
  5. george09

george09 New Seed

The biggest pest for me ... well, you may have read my Datura aphid issue. Nothing will kill them, and my Datura is close to the end. Then, my loquats (or pipa) got infected. This time however not the green aphids, but brown ones, or did they only change color. Both green and brown are being cared for by a bunch of ants.
    The brown aphids were then being joined by a few little black flies, which, I assume, are aphids too (smaller than the typical fruit fly). These creatures have now, in 2 weeks time, taken over the whole garden. First the fava beans. They were black from eggs and aphids. Next, the tomatoes, and I must say that this is the first time that I get aphids on tomato plants.
    I got rid of the fava beans, poored nettle juice over the soil, hoping to kill whatever was left, and planted corn, watermelon and squash. They are now heavily infected by these little buggers.
    Anyone know how I could get rid of them?

6. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

If your garden is fenced in, I heard that hedgehogs eat slugs and snails. I thought that would be a cute pet and a nice defense for the garden.

My worst pests are wooly aphids and spider mites. I had to pick the aphids off by hand and then pour vegetable oil over the plants. I lost 7 out of 8 plants to those nasty things.
    The spider mites claimed my mini roses. I couldn't beat them.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Beer will definitely do the trick. Get drunk and kick the bucket!! :D :D

8. Tammyd

Tammyd Seedling Plants Contributor

Ants- my yard seems to be one big ant hill.Went to dig in a flower bed and they were rampant. Earwigs- after so much rain lately. Deer are a big problem since my back yard borders a game reserve area. :rolleyes:

9. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

When i lived up north in the Arctic,,ice was my biggest pest,,,only a sledge hammer worked.

Living in the south i am going crazy with slugs and ants. Geez. I have a large garden knife that i am going kamakazi on the slugs with. But its too late they ate the one plant that was supposed to keep them away,,,lol,,,dill. Not to mention they have eaten all the seedlings i have planted. Sigh. So now i show no mercy. The ants, i never had to deal with that. Not many ants in the arctic. Down here, i feel like a live on one huge ant farm...I am going to try the cinnamon. I can't use any kind of chemicles because of the animals that run around here... my dog, neighbors 20 cats. Well its seems like they have 20 cats. So i have to be careful.