Would Clematis Do Well Here?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by cherylad, Feb 12, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've created a bed under the Sassafras tree. The Daylilies have been there forever. I've recently put in some Calla Lily bulbs and plan on putting the one I have in a pot there too. The stand is for the hummingbird feeder. I want to have a vine climbing up it.
    I've been wanting a Clematis... do you think it will do well there?
    If not, do you have suggestions for another vine that would?

[​IMG]
    new bed under Sassafras tree ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As long as the vine gets lots of sun and the roots are kept cool they will grow pretty much anywhere. In our hot climate most Clematis will bloom in early spring then nothing but a little green for summer, in not as hot as last summer summers it could stay green then have a second round of smaller blooms when the weather cools down in fall.

You could try a Sweet Autumn Clematis, it's green Spring through the summer then blooms like crazy in the Autumn.

4. cherylad

Thanks Toni. Looking at the photo, it's facing due north.
    So there is good southern exposure and the Sassafras isn't really dense. I was thinking of planting it between the pole and bench. That would probably keep it's roots cooler.
    Hmm... only blooms for a little while in Spring?
    Maybe I need to rethink. I was hoping for something with blooms from January to December! :D
    Okay... maybe spring & summer or summer & fall.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, I think, but I could be wrong, that the clematis blooms once in the summer, either early or late, depending on the variety, but not all summer long.. Trumpet vine might be more along the line for a long bloomer, but grows quite large. How about a passion vine? cypress vine (quamoclit pinnata), red flowers, tender. Mandevilla, bouganvillea, primrose jasmine, sweet peas (but it may be too hot there in the high of summer), honey suckle....to name a few that caught my eye in my plant book. Hope you find the perfect plant for the spot, though.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Thanks for the ideas Carolyn.
    I have most of things you mentioned... but the Cypress Vine just made it to my wish list. I'm going to do some more reading on it.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cypress Vine loves our almost year round warmth so each vine drops hundreds of seeds each year and all of them germinate and grow into more vines with hundreds of flowers producing hundreds of seeds and all of them germinate......

It took me 5 years to get all the Cypress Vine out of the back yard. :eek:
    But it is a very pretty vine....but it is usually the pretty ones you have to watch out for. They use that prettiness to lull you into thinking that nothing that pretty could be malicious...then they have you by the throat.

;)

8. cherylad

Hmmmm... maybe that's not the right plant for my wish list after all. :eek:
    I'll keep reading and looking.

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Hi Cherylad: I was doing some searching online for the type of Clematis I had. It is called Golden Bells and it blooms all summer long. It maybe what you are looking for. It has such neat seed pods after the blooms die off. Hope that helps. I believe it is fragrant also.
    ;)

10. designshare

designshare New Seed

I think a nice frame more important than some flower.

11. cherylad

Designshare... what do you mean by "nice frame"?
    Tooty... I've added the Golden Bells to my list of stuff to check out. Thanks!

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sorry about the cypress vine thought. We don't have that issue here. May be a litttttttttle tooooooo cold to reseed. So what exactly are you looking for? or are you just looking for that "something" to catch your eye? Does it need to be a perennial? what about looking at some annuals or a climbing rose?

13. cherylad

No apologies about the Cypress Vine, Carolyn. I really liked them. I even almost ordered some seeds.
    In a perfect garden, I'd like a perennial vine that bloomed year round and didn't get out of control. However, since there is no such thing as a perfect garden, I'm open to all suggestions.
    Annual would be fine as long as it was fast growing and gave me seeds for the next year and bloomed for awhile. See... I'm not asking for too much! LOL
    On my list of things to check out are Crossvine, Bleeding Heart Vine, some varieties of Clematis, Firecracker Vine, Climbing Nasturtium, snapdragon vine. Orchid vine and Sweetpea.
    Guess the next step will be to find out what's available locally (in a few weeks).

14. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I am looking for a flowering vine too. I posted in the Flowering forum.
    I dont like the Cypress Vine and I dont get a lot of sun in the area I want my flowering vine.
    What about Trumpet Vine? Is it easy to grow? Any tips on how to successfully grow this one?

15. designshare

designshare New Seed

I mean: some folks think beautiful garden be some flower.I didn't agree.a garden often need hardscrape,different color evergreen small arbors,shrubs to form STURDY frame.

[​IMG]
    13 ( photo / image / picture from designshare's Garden )

16. cherylad

Designshare... I think I understand what you are saying. And correct me if I am wrong. You are saying that it takes all sorts of plants, trees, objects to create the ideal space?
    However,in this instance, I am looking for a specific plant, for a specific spot.\\

Tina.. the Trumpet Vine here is considered invasive. I planted one near an archway just because I love the flowers. And its an area that could use some covering up. So, the more wild it grows, the better in this case.