Wow Bug Art.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Tooty2shoes, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

It's not caused by a bug!

I just read the email I received back from the Ag. Dept. and they told me that it was a virus that did all the neat designs. Aphids carry it from one plant to another.

It called: Papaya ringspot virus. Go figure. Even though it's a virus I love the patterns one can get on the outside of the watermelon. We plan on looking forward to new patterns on our melons next year. ;)

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I was hoping that you'd discovered a, formally unknown, species of insect too. :( If you had it could have been named after you 'Tooty painting bug.' :D

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

A virus! Wow that is interesting. I wonder how it jumps from one concentric ring to the next?

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It's not caused by a bug!

It's kind of like "people ring worm". I guess the answer is to keep Aphids away from now on. Right?

Barb in Pa.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Since we're a long way away from the papaya I guess I won't see any fancy artwork in our garden then. :D I'm glad you got an answer. It's always nice to know.

6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Eileen,Cayuga,waretrop, and Droopy:

I to was hoping for a bug. Well in a way it is a bug. Aphids transfer the virus from one plant to another. So I can't claim the fame.

Ya how the pattern forms is really a mystery. You would think that it would be just odd shapes since it's aphids that bringing the virus from on plant to another. But I love the patterns.

That is a weird name for the virus since I am along way from a papaya also. Plus it's way to cold here for one to grow. I could send you a piece of watermelon rind with the virus on it. Then you would have neat looking patterns on your also. But I am sure that the Ag. dept might frown on it. Oh well. Now I don't have to do a stake out next summer. Just enjoy the art work.

;)

7. Cayuga Morning

Toot--
    I was rather enjoying the mental image of you staking out your garden on the hunt of a mysterious artistic bug that you could catch red-handed (red-footed? red-mouthed?)! Ah me....I guess it is the sort of thing that is more enjoyable in imagination than in reality. If it were me, I guess I would feel a bit foolish skulking around my vegie patch, in the hopes of apprehending a bug!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Cayuga I might look a little suspicious skulking around my veggie patch in the dark. Plus out here one never knows what one might bump into. Skunks, raccoons, or possum. No thank you. I guess I will just let the aphids do their handy work and enjoy the results. ;)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning