Yellow dotes beneath rose leaves

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Jomol, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Jomol

Jomol New Seed

hi ,, I have rose bushes which are 20 plus years old,, there are yellow dots beneath the leaves and the leaves are all turning yellow n falling off,, what is it? Does anybody know? I got these roses with the new house
    Thanks

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jomol, welcome to the forum! Your rose problem sounds like black spot. Some roses are prone to it, others shrug it off. Black spot is a fungal disease, so you need to do three things. First, prune off all the diseased leaves and rake up any that have fallen to the ground. Dispose of these leaves in the trash (do not compost). Secondly, get a good fungicide specifically for roses at a nursery and apply it according to directions. And third, take a quart of water, dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda and a few drops of liquid soap (Dove, for example, but not detergent), and spray the roses with this solution. Respray after a rain.
    If you will, please post your location and growing zone in your avatar. My advice for Texas gardening is going to be absolutely worthless in Wisconsin! Hope to see you posting any and all questions you have, and giving advice, too!

Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

This is a fungus. I have effectively treated my rose bushes with soapy water. This creates an alkaline environment and many fungi thrive in an acid environment. I have also sprinkled wood ash on my plants in the evening and thoroughly washed the plants in the morning before the sun strikes the plant.

Sjoerd likes this.