You Know you are Old When

Discussion in 'Jokes and Games' started by reggaefan, Nov 16, 2006.

1. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Remember the card with the different numbers on it telling how many pounds of ice you wanted delivered? And the notes you left for the milkman?
    We had to do our home work when we got home from school, then it was outside to play with neighborhood kids, either a pick up softball or football game, or just running around hollering like banshees until the street lights came on. They we had to go home. And we had better be there in 5 minutes. We could listen to the radio on Saturday mornings. We could also make our own radios if we were lucky enough to have a grandfather who showed us how. Was that exciting??

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Remember taking a dime or two to school every week to buy savings bond stamps and when the book was full you could turn them in at the bank for a savings bond?

Picking up the phone and either hearing someone on your party line talking or waiting for the operator to answer and actually saying "Number Plee-as" And the phone number you told her was only 2 or 3 digits long?

Remember having the measles (there were two kinds 3 day and 7 day) and having to stay in a completely darkened room for a week to 10 days with nothing to do because being exposed to light while you have the measles could permanently damage your eyes?

Everytime you got a fever, headache or sore throat during the summer the first thought was Polio?

3. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I can even remember my grandma's phone number. I cheated when having to stay in a dark room by opening the shade a bit so I could read. My eyes are find now these 60 years later.
    Remember the car being up on blocks because of lack of tires or gas? Ours was not because my dad worked in a defense plant, but everyone else's was. Remember rationing and putting the little yellow packet in the white margarine and having to stir it to make it yellow all through?

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Richard, DR and I were just talking the other day about when we were kids. My brother had a paper route because I wasn't old enough for it. I delivered the papers and collected the money. It was my paper route but it was in his name. I used to run from house to house, some times missing several because I was watching Captain Video and Kukla, Fran and Ollie and not all of the people had television. I was always going back with papers I missed because I needed to see what was happening. We didn't have a television until I was in seventh grade and then it went off at 9 pm until 7 am. Our neighbors had the first one and it was a seven inch screen and the whole neighborhood gathered around it to watch Jackie Gleason. Dooley

Advertisement
  5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

We had the first TV in our little town. We watched Howdy Doody and test patterns, but by that time I was in the 6th grade and I would rather be outside playing. It's still that way to this day.

6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We had our tv disconnected from satellite and you can't get reception here without dish or cable. It's the second time we've done that. The last time was for 15 yrs. I don't know why we bothered reconnecting it. Dooley

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You know your old when you remember Breeze Washing powder with dish towels,wash cloths and towels inside or Mothers oats with glassware inside.When you remember Hadacol.Frank
    it was a type of meds to build you system up and pep you up.I also remember Crazy Crystals.It was like Alka Selzer except in grandules.

8. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Yes Hadacol just made everything alright mostly because it was loaded with codiene as was most cough syrup. My father and his friends when they need a lift would mix Dt. Tichnores and hadacol and pass right out.

9. glendann

I remember Pinkie Lee on tv.I still love the old westerns.I'm glad I didn't take Hadacol I never knew it had Codiene in it Wow .My mom never gave me Black Draught or Castor Oil.She gave me Mineral Oil and then hid the bottle because I loved the taste.I was a weird one.I use to go to the smoke house for a slab of sugar cured bacon.
    I was to short to get anything that was smoked.I still have the old smoke
    house.Its covered in vines.(Wisteria)

10. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Hee hee, ho ho, I remember Pinkie Lee as well. No Hadacol in Michigan, they had to get their codeine some other way and probably did. I used to go with my grandfather to the farm down the road from their house to get milk from the milkhouse. That was before milk delivery started.
    Remember a bottle with holes punched in the metal top. You put water in the bottle. Who remembers why?

11. glendann

To sprinkle your clothes before ironing.

12. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

So, Frank, did you know that?

13. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

I think you are exactly right Glendann

14. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Of course, she is right. Richard, didn't you know that? Are we to assume that you did not help your mother with the ironing?
    So, for our Northerners, what's a spud?

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A potato