You Know you are Old When

Discussion in 'Jokes and Games' started by reggaefan, Nov 16, 2006.

1. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Nope, try again. North Texas would never need one.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Go asking for a spud around here and they will send you to the produce section of the nearest grocery store.
    That's the only thing I have ever heard referred to as a spud, so I guess we don't have the kind you are talking about :-D

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My kids find it unbelievable that I didn't have a microwave oven growing up! "How did you cook stuff? And also no TV...and when we did it was black and white and we were the last ones on the block to get one!
    That's the world my kids live in - they are so dependant on TV, computers, video games that they don't even know how to "play" anymore. We don't even have cable - I refuse to encourage more time on the couch. We have about 10 channels and that is plenty!

4. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

A spud is an iron pole about 6' long with a kinda pointy end. It's used for making a hole in the ice for ice fishing. You guys would starve during Michigan winters.
    Netty, I fear for the kids who have no idea how to play. Will they have imaginations? Will they know how to cobble things together to fix something?

Advertisement
  5. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

Some of my fondest memories are of playing Kick The Can on those long summer evenings. It is also the name of my favorite Twilight Zone episode.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Whether I had a spud or not I might starve, I do not like fish.....except for fried Catfish and Scallops.

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

My dad had a spud wrench.I'm not sure what it was used for.We played Red Rover Red light Green light and Mother May I. We had flying jennies.Its a wonder we didn't get killed.Climbing trees was more fun.
    Does anyone remember Burma Shave ?

8. reggaefan

Sure I remember Burma Shave we used to look for those signs every tim e we went some where in my uncle's car.( My mom and Dad never owned a car and I was 19 and in service before I owned one) How about S&H Green Stamps.

9. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

My mother had books and books of green stamps. I got to stick them in the book.
    Remember making a raft, all the neighborhood kids would get on and we would promptly all sink. Kids dont' get a chance to do that anymore, do they? They have play dates.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

You know you are old when "getting lucky" means finding your car in the Wal Mart parking lot.

11. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

LOLOLOL You are right, DR

12. reggaefan

I get lucky most every day then Sometime i am confused abour it location for a while though. Thats what Daniel Boone said when asked if he had ever been lost he said "Lost no, but I have been powerfully confused for a week or two"

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

So right DR .LOL Oh yes,Green Stamps and Big Bonus stamps ahhhhh those were the good old days(You here people say that but they didn't seem so good back then). I loved to go to the Stamp Center to get something with my stamps .Usually some thing for a baby.In Houston you could trade then for money 3.00 a book .I remember one Christmas I took 20 books in and got $60.00.Boy did we have a great Christmas. :)

14. reggaefan

Some of our Christmases were financed that way also Glendann

15. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Green stamps and all their stamp-alikes were great - I remember getting to go to the store and pick out something with my folks after licking and licking them for the little books - usually something for the kitchen.

Wooden Fisher-Price little people are now considered collectibles...can you believe it? I still have some my own kids also played with, they never wear out or break.