You say potato and I say patartoe

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by EJ, Jan 22, 2018.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

first batch of seed spuds brought today, Rocket, Kestrel and Maris Piper. I will buy a couple of other varieties to fill up my potato area on the allotment, just a bit spoilt for choice.

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I don't have my seed potatoes yet, so I'm envious, EJ! I'll look up those varieties and see if I can grow them here in Texas, and if I can get those varieties. I usually just grow Red LaSoda and Yukon Gold, but I'm up for something a bit different. Thanks for the post--you got me thinking (and perhaps acting).

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great EJ--You have made me jealous once again. hahaha:D
    I shall look those up.
    We still have to order our seed potatos yet. We are looking at a couple of new ones again this year...as well as a new tomato sort.--the Crimson Crush--do you know it? We haven't been able to find the seeds here yet, but are hoping that they will begin to appear in the garden centres this year. Do you know anything about their performance?

5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I havent heard of Crimson crush Sjoerd. I think Yukon gold is quite a waxy potato marlingardener, I wonder if it similar to our Charlotte?

I do love to try new varieties, although I find with spuds I tend to stick to the same varieties as they work well on my heavy London clay earth which is riddled with slugs!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are right about the Yukon Gold being waxy. I would say that it is a bit similar to the Charlotte in that respect but the form is different. Those Charlotte's are a really good spud on their own, but it has been mixed with others to produce good spuds too---take the Harlequin for instance. Have you ever tried these?
    Oh, don't get me started on potatos....I love them and have tried many different ones over the years---a couple of which you have recommended, if you recall.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I tend to stay with the red LaSodas and Kennebec`s since that is what I have grown in past few years. I have seed potatoes left from last year. You know,, those too small for anything but planting soI don`t buy any more. The Russet Burbank do well here but are hard to find.