You Wont [or shouldnt] See This Anywhere Else In The World.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by chocolate, Dec 5, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We don't have Kangaroos or Koalas but there is a connection to some of the other photos.

The Poinciana tree grows quite well in south Florida, really a striking color. We do have that plant in our database and the page needs a photo ;) Delonix regia hint,hint, hint.

I bought a Anigozanthos flavidus (Kangaroo Paw) plant at Lowe's in spring of 2010. Didn't do very well here though, saw them again last spring but decided not to try again.

There was a movie made back in 1976 about the Camels shipped to the west for the US Cavalry to use in the late 1800's, it was called Hawmps! If I remember right it was funny in a silly way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Camel_Corps

I don't remember anyone raising Cassowaries in west Texas but for several years there were Emu crossing signs along Interstate Highway 20 west of here between Ft. Worth and Abilene. They were supposed to become a thriving meat product but that was one of the fads that bombed.

The beach photo is gorgeous! Looks like a very relaxing place to spend a couple of days.

2. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning, thankyou for nice comments everyone,Calinromania.... yes we have signs for other animals here too but the kangaroo, koala, emu are unique to Australia .On the subject of cows....some farmers just paint white stripes across the road...looking like a grid, to fool the cattle into thinking it is a real grid which is dangerous to cows, they are easily fooled and stay in their paddock which in Australia could be 1,000 hectares!He probably sees his cattle only once a year sometimes, but he knows they wont cross the 'grid'.Wild horse or brumbies can also be a problem in some areas, if you hit one of those your car is usually a writeoff.

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Thanks for posting your road signs! They brought a smile to my face. I'd like some more scenery, pretty please? My world has turned white and we've got -4°C at the moment, so your colourful tree photo is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe I ought to check if the florist's got some kangaroo paws for me to bring home. I rather like them as a cut flower. :stew2:

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great idea Chocolate. The road signs are so differant then here,as well as the plants. The tree is beautiful.

Advertisement
  5. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi Droopy, yes the kangaroo paw is a very good cut flower, it is used a lot by florists, and they have it bred to just about every color you want now.
    I will look for some photos to entertain those who are interested, we live not far from the beach so most of our photos are beachy or my own garden, hope this helps on those dreary days.

[​IMG]
    Our closest beach looking E. towards N.Z. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Another view ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Banksias growing along the beach ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Towards the sea. ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    In my garden ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Cordyline ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Under the liquidamber without leaves ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    under liquidamber with leaves ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

Frank and cherylad like this.
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

What lovely beach photos! Sure wish we had nice blue water like that near here. Further south on the coast it looks like that... but here... oh well. I guess any beach is better than no beach! :-D
    And I totally love that Banksias. First I've ever seen!