your day apart from gardening

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Logan, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Daniel W glad that everything went well with your eyes.
    Just got back and everything is fine, he said that because I can see better I can see them and looked at the back of my eye and it's normal.

2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

@Sjoerd, as soon as the furniture carpenter is done with the rest of the big parts. I have the tall cabinet in, waiting for three smaller wall cabinets, the desk, and a support wall at the end.

@Cayuga Morning, wishing you a speedy recovery!

@Doghouse Riley, that's a very nice set-up. Mine won't be that fancy. I need cabinets for my binders where I put all the important papers in, and my stamp collection. I'm also doing genealogy, so there's quite a bit of paper there too. Mostly inherited. My husband gave me a very nice laptop for my genealogy programs, so I need space for that too.

The thing is, with that new, big desk I might be tempted to buy a big, curved screen, and I like to play games, so I might end up with a gaming corner instead of an office corner. Best regards, Grandma 57, about to turn 14...

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I think I've resolved a problem which was giving me a bit of concern with our combi boiler.
    Water in the central heating circuit is under pressure and from time to time needs more water added to it. Last week the heating didn't come on one morning. The fault code said water pressure.
    It won't come on if the pressure falls to below .3bar.
    I usually have to add a bit of water to it every year, but hadn't checked it for months.
    It's easy enough, I just have to slide away this tiled fillet I made. (It hides a multitude of sins).

[​IMG]

Then just a question of opening the two taps at each end of the flexible filler pipe and turning them both off when the pressure meter reads. 1.5bar.

[​IMG]

A 2 minute job. Heating back on. But over the past week it had lost a little more, hard to tell because the meter isn't that accurate.

The question is of course, why the loss of water?
    A case of checking all the radiators for leaks. They can develop leaks so small that the water evapourates off them before it becomes noticable. They are only likely to leak when the heating is on and water is being pumped around the house. So no tiny water stains on the carpet.
    All the radiators were OK. but I checked the new taller stainless steel towel rail we had fitted at the same time as the new boiler three years ago. I noticed some tell-tail water stains on the long side tube opposite the one with the bleed valve at the top. They only went half way down this tube and were hard to see. It had been leaking from the big nut at the top of the tube but the water was evaporating before it got more than a foot or so down the outside of the tube. I was able to get a few millimeters of a turn on the nut with a spanner. So I think I've cured it as over time this could to amount to the loss of a pint or so of water.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Logan and Droopy like this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Logan so glad it went well!

Here's a piece of cherry pie for you. I made it myself this morning.
    1FAF6544-241A-48EB-B2FA-795F8FFAB060.jpeg

6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you @Daniel W that cherry pie was delicious.

Daniel W likes this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Just watched this, we haven't got a EV but hubby is interested in getting one.

8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Building computers for the home office. Amazing how far things have advanced. Well some things anyway. I had an intermittant power button problem and my first build would not crank. Frustrating! Since it is basically a short circuit that tells the computer to start, The test is to pull the plug off the motherboard and take a screwdriver to short out the two pins that make the circuit which controls the whole mess. Suprised I didn't need a hammer like usual! Anyway it worked, and I told my wife I should just leave the screwdriver in like they do on a car steering column when they steal a vehicle. Classy!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Droopy likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

DM, fascinating! I didn't understand a word of it, but then I have trouble operating a ballpoint pen.
    So fortunate that some understand and can do what you do. I'll just sit in the stands and clap.

10. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I feel the same way. I have to study all the new advances because I tend to upgrade in bursts every few years. For example the new hard drives that are on big fast chips instead of spinning discs! One hard drive I took out was marked October 1997! Look at the new one: PXL_20220127_215954045.jpg

1 terabyte with some 7000 Gigabyte speed or so. I do not have a context to place this stuff into until I just start using it myself! It is just the next thing to replace the old thing!

Droopy likes this.
  11. Doghouse Riley

hardreset.jpg

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Terabyte, gigabyte, spinning discs (weren't they called LP vinyl records?)--it's all a new language to me. Glad you understand it all. My husband, bless him, is more technically apt than I (so are most orangutans) so I just leave any updates and corrections to him.

Cayuga Morning and Dirtmechanic like this.
  13. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

My neighbor is 93. His last name is Binion. In his college days, he and a running buddy, last name Fells, got stuck out in the countryside when Fells vehicle just up and died going down the road. All Fells had on hand was a hammer. Binion, being the engineering student, took over the tool and at some point struck the motor. It cranked up and away they went. They agreed that the technique would henceforth be referred to as the Fells-Binion method of maintenance. Given Charlies' age and not having heard of a older version of the method I agree that this is the official name of striking machinery with a hammer for maintenance purposes.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Ahh, that explains why I am fixing her computer first then!

marlingardener likes this.
  15. Doghouse Riley

I'll say!

This one could give some of my club's members a few lessons!

Logan likes this.