your day apart from gardening

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Logan, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Best wishes and hopes for a rapid and complete recovery @MIKE ALLEN :fingerscrossed:

Melody Mc., Logan and MIKE ALLEN like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I used to go to Aldi all of the time when I lived in Chicago. I still miss it. Here we have Trader Joes, owned by the same family, but more upscale and not frugal or practical. I would drive past a TJ's to go to an Aldi.

Logan likes this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today I celebrated the filling of the propane tank, by baking a loaf of bread and some cookies.

For the bread, I started with a recipe for sandwich white bread, except substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour for one cup of the white bread flour (so it ended up 1 cup whole wheat and 1 3/4 cups white bread flour), substituted 2 tablespoons dark molasses for the original recipe 2 tablespoons sugar, then added 1/3 cup chopped Medjul dates. I made a mistake on the liquid volume (should have been 1/2 cup milk and 3/4 cup water, I used 1/2 cup of each) but I knead to a consistency I like, plus there was the liquid in the molasses, so it came out fine. Actually, I've eaten four slices already LOL. I think I let it rise a bit too long, so it fell a little while baking but not too bad. Nice texture and nice and moist, nice flavor when buttered.

[​IMG]

For the cookies, I used the recipe for lemon sugar cookies except substituted orange zest for the lemon zest, and juice from that orange for the lemon juice. I got carried away with substituting and substituted shortening equally for butter, but added in butter extract for flavor (out of butter in the kitchen). The dough was too dry, plus I set the oven wrong (350F instead of 375F) and the first batch didn't spread out as much as the lemon cookies did. So I rolled them out and used a cookie cutter, but hadn't realized the oven wasn't 375F. Despite all that, they were not bad, nice crumb and very mild orange flavor.

[​IMG]
    I have thoughts on improvements, specifically use the original recipe with butter instead of shortening, cook at the right temperature LOL, and maybe increase orange zest or add orange extract.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Best wishes Mike :fingerscrossed: :stew1:

Pacnorwest and MIKE ALLEN like this.

Advertisement
  5. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Hurry up and get better @MIKE ALLEN ..... I would much rather have four candles or even fork 'andles :rolleyes:

6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Sending healing blessings across the pond for all that you need to get you thru this journey.

Logan, MIKE ALLEN and marlingardener like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

The weather is hot at the moment at 27c this where i walk Barley and Berry.
    IMG_16062022_164211_(864_x_1536_pixel).jpg

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd, Frank and 3 others like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is thunderstorms and rain all day, so I was outside early. Really hoping the hail stays away. I came back in time to beat the first rain, and for home care. Asparagus is being pickled today. Spinach blanched and frozen. Bread is rising. Washing machine is humming, Vaccuum cleaner, and his friends mop, broom and dust bin are staring at me from across the room while I have a cup of tea. They will have to wait for a few minutes longer while I take 5. :)

I'm trying to get as much inside done today as possible. There is a big city trip overnight ( about a ten hour return trip) on Sunday to Monday and lots to have in order by then. Angus is coming along for his first big roadtrip, so lots to plan for. He will be a positive distraction for both of us. And he's a good little traveller, all be it very hairy. :)

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd, Logan and 2 others like this.
  9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

@Tetters, glad you're out and about! I think you know what not to do, so I'll just send healing thoughts and a hug with the wind.

@MIKE ALLEN, hope you'll get well soon.

10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today was too hot to garden.

I gave Rufus a haircut and bath, wore us both out LOL.

The propane company increased the cost so much, we decided to buy an electric range. So we ordered one. A new range actually cost less than one year's rent on the propane tank + one year fill. We will transition the gas range to outside to make a summer kitchen, just use small tanks we can carry ourselves for fuel. Install an awning over the cooking area, It will be good for cooking on hot days, not to heat up the house. I'm pretty irritated about the propane company, but their service was lousy anyway. Last year the tank blew a gasket in the heat, so I worry about having a big propane tank anyway.

I did 2/3 of making a quilted cover for the old Kenmore sewing machine.

I made choc chip cookies, but with white chocolate and macadamia nuts.

I started cleaning out my work bench. Time to throw away hardware and obsolete tools and parts I never use.

Logan, Doghouse Riley and MIKE ALLEN like this.
  11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Other than gardening.....wow..first thing we cleaned the chickens. We have about 170 of them and we clean them every week, even the nest boxes. There are 3 sets of 15 totaling 45 nests. It seems line a big job but with the 2 of us it only takes 45 minutes. Feels so good when it's done. All the rest of the 100 things we did yesterday were garden related...LOL
    chicken dance.gif

12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

We both went to the dentist to have our teeth cleaned and polished, she also says how our gums are doing and if we need to improve our cleaning regime, but we were both good.

Melody Mc. and Doghouse Riley like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Yesterday was an unexpected trip to town. Something bit me under the arm three nights ago, and it took on some momentum of it's own and needed a doctor visit. I'm suspicious of a spider bite, so off came the sheets and bedding and a good cleaning of the loft. ( don't like those guys)

The funny part is that hubby offered to do the dishes that I didn't get to during this. Two hours of washing and drying later, he said we should replace the broken dishwasher ( it died about ten months ago). So while I was at the doctor, he went and found another portable dishwasher. I'm a very lucky lady and very excited to have some help with that part of life - it was a big purchase for us.

Today is setting it up and to finish prepping the house for my daughter coming to visit. I can't use my arm much without irriating it so it will be poked away at. I brought my Dad's sofa up from the storage boat shed and steam cleaned it a few days ago. That will go into the living room and ours will go out today also. It offers much better support and will be a lot easier for hubby to get up out of.

Lots of new change today. :)

14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I hope that you feel better soon Melody Mc.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Melody Mc., please take it easy on yourself! Your daughter is coming to see you, and although I'm sure you want everything to be perfect, I doubt she'd notice a small omission here and there. Just cook some lentils and she'll be happy.

Melody Mc. likes this.