your day apart from gardening

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Logan, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Logan - wow! That is a labour of love.Thank you for explaining. It gives me a little Christmas vibe :)

@Sjoerd - The 20 k wid gusts put a damper on our plans. The lake we are going to is large and deep, so prone to volatile rough waters. Wave's wouldn't be good for Hubby right now, so we are searching for a window of calm. Perhaps today or tomorrow we will get to go. HOWEVER.....we got to spend three hours strategically removing a Yellow Jacket nest from the back of the boat...very well hidden and tucked away behind all of the wires. That was quite the escapade that I am happy to say is done.

Logan likes this.
  2. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is Tomato day, unless the winds calm. ( Then it is a fly fishing day, and a walk away from tomato day.) Hopefully I will have all of the reducing done by late afternoon, and then canning it for the pantry. :)

Logan likes this.
  3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Your welcome, it's like canning your tomatoes.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Last Wednesday we were having our gas boiler and gas fire serviced. Earlier hubby went to open the patio door so that the man could go in and out to check on the flue when doing the fire.But hubby put the key in the lock and it wouldn't move and couldn't take the key out. He phoned the person who fitted the door and he got a locksmith to have a look at it. There wasn't anything wrong with the lock, because of the hot weather the door had dropped a bit, but it's alright now and we didn't have to pay anything.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ooooo Mel, yellow jackets are mean. Be careful with those.
    Oh and be sure to post pics of your fish, oké?

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We had patio doors before we had them changed to French windows.
    They have height adjusting screws at the bottom at each end. I had to level mine up a couple of times, due to the rollers wearing a bit.
    On the old ones it was possible for burglars to slip the blade end of a spade between the door and the guide and lever it out.

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Before this we had a sliding door but it was wearing out and too heavy to push open. About 20 odd years ago before we moved in here it looked like someone tried to break in. But this new door should be better, all the locking mechanism is inside the door frame and a very solid door.
    They've been in about 4 years now, it's only the door that opens.
    IMG_20220903_092531_(864_x_486_pixel).jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Melody Mc. likes this.
  8. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We had our lounge extended in 1976 and these patio doors fitted. I made a swing down canopy for them. I built the patio and the little goldfish pond.

05_17_0.JPEG

In 2002 we has the whole house renovated. It was all completed and every room decorated and carpeted, when my wife said "Can we change the patio doors for French windows as I'm finding it hard to open them?"

I knew the guy that had fitted the double glazing a decade before and got him to supply them. He had them made and fitted in less than two weeks.They changed them over without damaging the wallpaper or the carpet. (Not this one).

[​IMG]

The side windows swing up.
    We have these heavy thermal lined curtains in all rooms. They keep the sun out when it's really hot. The wisteria pergola above the windows also helps.

The downside is that the hand rail I made for my wife to help her when she came out of the sliding door is no longer any use where it is.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

They look great.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Pre conditioning flowers for the fall flower show.

Logan likes this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is a busy day making dinner for the elderly neighbour that I share my garden with. They have a hay and cattle ranch, and got all of their hay in even with multiple equipment issues. Every year, after haying, I have them over for a celebration supper. This time it is BBQ chicken, homemade onion rings from the Candy garden onions, Stuffed potatoes from the garden, and I picked a nice big head of romaine for a caesar salad. Pumpkin layer cake with orange cream cheese icing, and some homemade ice cream for desert. And..a bottle of champagne to toast to their end of haying season success. They may have to start leasing out thier fields next year, so this year is extra special.

It also means I have to tidy the house and clean the bathroom....I'm avoiding that part on the Stew. ( just putting it off a wee bit...)

Doghouse Riley and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

DW has had a jigsaw puzzle on the table for a while and since I cannot stand the tedious things I decided to figure out a way to join her. A couple of years ago I bought a 75 dollar parts kit for my chainsaw that has every single part. So I built it since it was a rainy day.

IMG_20220905_000133.jpg

13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Looks like part can opener and part thing-a-me-jig..

Logan and Dirtmechanic like this.
  14. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I made a lot of progress yesterday 16623857230465759688507660261439.jpg as we binged on Outlander.

15. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Wow - we've never heard of a complete parts kit for rebuilding a chainsaw. That's fabulous! I looked it up, and I'm always blown away about what's available in the USA. Looks like you're making good progress. That's not something I could ever endeavour to do. Is that a Husqvarna or Stihl? How many cc's? Are you putting on a new bar also? A saw rebuild would be really exciting and need a lot of patience I would think.

Pacnorwest, Logan and Dirtmechanic like this.