your day apart from gardening

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Logan, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank you … :shrug: :smt114 It’s a New Year to be Hopeful, Grateful and Life is a Gift.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Pacnorwest likes this.
  3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We've a Karcher pressure washer, it's the third one we've had over the years. I use it on our pale green concrete drive, but these days, just on that. I find the first ten minutes of use "therapeutic," beyond that, it becomes a boor.
    The trouble with them is whilst I'm concentrating on the drive, the overspray goes on the side wall of the house and on the party fence. So I have to go over it with the hose afterwards.
    If I use it on the York stone patio, or paths, it can blast out bits of the pointing. So I use "Wet n' Forget" instead. As long as I pick the right weather conditions, I find it just as effective.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sorry i missed this Melody and thank you.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Just curious…There’s more around the garden for using the trusty pressure washers…….name a few…

1…Pressure washers also useful for removing soggy horse manure quickly out of the corral.
    2…Pressure washer is a great way to remove all those pine needles hung up/clogged in all the tree branches..

Anyone else have other uses ? What are you doing in the garden with your pressure washer ?

Melody Mc., Logan and Doghouse Riley like this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

I've seen "odd job men" using them to clear tiled roofs of moss.
    Presumably shortly followed by roof repairers.
    Moss or no moss, if it doesn't leak, stay off it.

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Riley that’s is a solid piece of advice on most tile roofs.
    Unfortunately a portion of our roof is made from concrete tiles . If the moss is left to grow then it cracks and deteriorates the tiles in just a couple of years. I have to paint the tiles with a preservative coating helps tiles to last longer between washing. PSI between 1500-2000 is specified by the tile manufacturer for concrete tiles .

Then the gutters are a whole different ballgame. Pine tree seedlings anyone?
    I have a few good ones growing in the Barn gutters..

8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

With age sometimes comes wisdom.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Any handymen around that advertises any services, beware… they are not lisenced, bonded, insured or dependable.
    Murphy’s law…

10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Sounds like your wife's ladder advice DHR ( grin grin grin). Must run in the family.;) Honestly - I'm super excited to be redoing the roof over the bathroom/son's room/laundry room this summer. It was built by a much younger and inexperienced Hubby, and didn't factor in two other additions in the crystal ball of a growing family, that have two story peaked roofs. The snow load slides from both peaks onto the roof that covers the three rooms. This summer hopefully we will be putting in 2x6 instead of 2x4 to handle the snow load. It's a low pitch, so until it is done Hubby insists on snow being removed from it. I understand why...but now there are leaks.

New roof = stronger roof = rubber backing under the tin= new screws = Hubby never going up there again. I swear everytime, another screw comes loose. Including mine with worry.

Logan, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Melody.. Sounds like a good plan for heavy snow load to add extra berms for support.
    We had our roof redone a couple years ago. It’s such a relief not have to worry about leaks.
    I am the queen at fixing leaks on this roof.. flat roof is all torch down white rock over lay and the cement tiles are kind of a Pizza Hut style vault ceilings.
    I get where the worry is on the snow load. So many roofs cave in from heavy snow and ice . The pics on the news showing damaged homes is hard to watch.
    This year the roof will need power washing ..moss everywhere. Doesn’t take long here to grow lichen, moss, tree seedling on roofs. Everything begins to grow in spring .

Melody Mc. likes this.
  12. Doghouse Riley

We of course don't get such extremes of temperatures as do other regions.
    We've concrete tiles, the original ones when the house was built in the mid-sixties. They are quite thick and have a rough finish. So possible to walk on them in soft shoes without slipping.
    Back in the late eighties, I was up there re-cementing the ridge tiles. I was able to walk on them without causing any damage. I've also been up there a few other times sorting out the TV aerial.
    It's easy enough to get on the roof. I put a ladder up to the pergola over the French windows (I built it to take my weight) and then step onto the flat roof of our lounge extension. Then drag the ladder up, place it on a board and lean it against the wall just below the gutters. Mind you, I've not been on the roof since my late sixties, there's been no need, neither now "would I get permission."

P1050953_50.jpg

We do get moss on them on the North side, but in a hot summer it dies off. Occasionally the gutters need cleaning out.
    With those few houses who had their roofs "cleaned"soon got the moss back. Of the about 80 houses in our road, built in the sixties all have their original roofs except those who have had roof extensions.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Riley..
    You have a beautiful home and garden. Maintenance of both can be a lot of work . It’s well worth time and effort to keep the chores manageable, practical and let the beauty of all the years of your efforts shine thru.
    You should be proud of what you have accomplished and designed , because I know a little about that… many years of the same ..
    I’m so proud of you. :smt026 Thank you for sharing all your skills , home and garden.:sete_056:

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  14. Doghouse Riley

You're making me blush!

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Is that all? :p

Logan likes this.