Your favorite purple leaves

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by purpleinopp, Sep 5, 2012.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I have a lot of purple leaves but my heart will always belong to Persian shield.

[​IMG]
    Potted Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus) ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Also can't get enough purple heart (Tradescantia pallida) and wandering Jew (T. zebrina.)

[​IMG]
    Purple heart (Tradescantia pallida) ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Begonia 'castaway' with Tradescantia zebrina ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Frank, Henry Johnson, Jewell and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All three are lovely plants but your Persian shield is really stunning. I love the variagation in its leaves. :-D

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The Persian Shield and Wandering Jew are the only purple leaved plants I have. I think. Hmmm... now I'm going to have to go check to make sure. :-D

5. purpleinopp

Thanks! Smiles! Back of leaves "counts" and any purple stripes or spots...

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

I did remember two more...

[​IMG]
    Fuzzy Wandering Jew ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Fuzzy Wandering Jew

[​IMG]
    Oxalis - Purple ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

And Purple Oxalis

Does my Red Sister Cordyline count?

[​IMG]
    Red Sister Cordyline ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

7. purpleinopp

Great plants!

LOVE LOVE LOVE that Tradescantia! Do you know which one it is?

What kind of exposure is your Cordyline in? I got one a few months ago and have tried it in several spots but it keeps getting sunburned. I've finally put it in the most shady spot on my porch that only gets a few minutes of light first-thing in the morning and about 10 minutes at sunset. Finally, the newest leaf has that raspberry/magenta color on it, so I'm thinking... it really can't handle any sun?

8. cherylad

The Fuzzy or Hairy Wandering Jew is Tradescantia sillamontana. It puts on the cutest little flowers too. I've only had it in a container, next year I'm going to see how some of it does in the ground.
    The Cordyline gets probably less than an hour of direct sun in the mid-morning. It's in a bright, but protected area between the house and garage. I originally got it to "hide" the back side of the rain barrel, turns out that the rain barrel is doing it a favor by blocking out the afternoon sun. A win/win situation! :D

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. purpleinopp

Thanks! Don't'cha love it when things work out like that? Sweet!

I was going to guess that was which T. you have but yours is so purple compared to the pics that came up on google. Just love it! It's an interesting contrast between the neat arrangement of leaves on unruly stems. Like, from chaos comes order, inspirational.

10. purpleinopp

Cheryl, forgot to ask you. Does your Oxalis go dormant for winter? I threw one away years ago and it was probably just dormant (which I didn't know about at the time.) Now I can't find another one.

I don't really see purple smoke bushes down here but they were pretty common in OH. The bank across the street has 2 shrubs flanking the entrance that are so pretty. Lorapetalum I think. They're trimmed like trees and have small purplish/maroon leaves with bright pink flowers.

Had hoped to get more shrubs and perennials for this discussion, trees if there are any, thought I had put this in flower gardening but I don't really know where this should go... I'm about at capacity for house plants and am leaving everything hardy outside this year.

11. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

all Great plants :-D

12. cherylad

Purple... my Oxalis does die back some over the winter. I cover it when the temps get close to freezing. I'm guessing it would die back completely if it were left in the elements. In the spring, I'm going to put some in the ground to see how they fare.

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

All photos are super.Wonderful plants.My Oxalis froze in my green house .I haven't been able to find it to replace it.I love that plant.It froze one night when the temp dipped. to low.

14. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Frank, Henry Johnson and purpleinopp like this.
  15. cherylad

Wow! That "almost black" is such an eye-catcher!

16. purpleinopp

Chocolate, (great name, btw!) your Pseuderanthemum is fantastic! I just got a tiny one recently and hope it gets to look like yours next summer. Seems like it burns very easily so I put it where it gets the very first and last rays of the day and nothing but bright shade the rest of the day. What kind of spot is yours in? Do you think it could take a little more sun if gradually exposed? Kind of a moot point now, but am hoping for greatness next summer.

That "almost black" is wild. Never seen that before! Is that its' name or just how you're describing it? How did you come across that?

Have you had the Gynura long? I can't tell from the pic if it's in a pot or in the ground. I recently got another one of these. They're hard to find in decent shape, hoping mine doesn't get bugs inside this winter. I've got much more sunny windows this time around though, hopeful!

Glendann, where are they hiding all of these Oxalis? Maybe we're killing them faster than they can grow replacements. Oops!