Your favorite rose?.......

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by luvdirtyhands1, Mar 31, 2012.

1. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I know I saw this as a new topic on here but can't find it & am curious what other gardener's fave. roses are. My all-time fave is "Zepherine Drouhin" and second fave is "Hot Cocoa". What are yours?

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You may have run across this rose post in the 'attic' as it has a lot if dust on it,
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about1676.html.
    My favorite rose is the only one I am growing. Most of my gardening is done in the dark shadows of 80 to 100 oak trees. Last year we took out a oak tree whose shadow dominated the front yard. I used the new found sun to plant sun loving flowers including a rose bush. A generic white and red rose, it flourished in the new sunny bed getting 6 hours of sun. As the season rolled to a close my wife decided 'lawn' in front instead of flowers. A parade of plants went to the next sunniest bed, 2+ hours of sun. Time will tell. Anyway it is the only rose growing so it must be my favorite. I use to have another bush 30 years ago but that is another story.

Jerry

4. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I know it's insanely expensive to have trees taken out; my son has 5 acres in upstate NY & had a few removed.... it cost him an arm & a leg. Would be nice if you could take out a couple, though, so you could have a sun-garden. I have opposite problem. We live on a corner lot, in town, & there's not a single tree on our property. I'd love to grow Bleeding Hearts, Astilbes & some other shade plants..... i've been thinking of building a lattice-work gazebo-type thingie, so I have dappled shade. So many projects; so little time!

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

My fave is my Zepherine Dhrouin too :p I think it is truly the perfect rose! Lots of blooms, awesome scent, no thorns...what's not to love? I have a really pretty one in the front yard but don't know it's name

[​IMG]
    Mom's roses 10/9/10 ( photo / image / picture from stratsmom's Garden )
    Since I don't know the name you can see I call it "Mom's Rose" since she and Dad gave it to us when they cleaned out one of their flower beds. When she saw how pretty is was she wanted it back :D She had it in a real shady spot so it didn't do too hot for her. Her loss, my gain ;)

Here is my pink baby, Zepherine

[​IMG]
    Pink Roses & Blue September Sky ( photo / image / picture from stratsmom's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Hi stratsmom, Nice to know someone else loves the Zepherine Dhrouin as much as I do. My bush is humoungous! Stands 7 ft. high ( or More) & is at least 5 ft. in diameter. It was planted in 1953, when this house was built. Almost lost it in the hurricane-force winds we had this fall. It had laid down on the ground & I was so heartbroken. Hubby & friend sunk an iron pole near it, gently pushed it upright & then secured it to the pole. Halleluiah! It's just full of new leaves this spring.

stratsmom likes this.
  7. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

Stratsmom, I believe your " mom's rose " is the rose named "Malibu".

8. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

My favorite is ... but for the looks and the distinct fragrance is Double Delight (not sure if this is an International name, but over here in Romania we all know it under this title).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I see why it is your favorite Calin :-D It is beautiful!

10. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

I love Double Delight, as well. I just ordered a beautiful, smoky-yellow rose called "Brandy Mac". Can't wait to see it in bloom!