your garden will love this

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Logan, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Clay_22, eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good vid, Loggie. Cheers.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have always used cardboard as a weed suppressant. It works really well and rots down nicely - so much better than trailing it to the nearest recycling centre.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thanks Kogan for the nice video. It is so "me" LOL.

I tried putting down a butcher paper mulch. It rotted too fast in rainy spring weather. So I saved Amazon boxes and put down the cardboard. I lay the cardboard on top of the drip lines. It worked beautifully! A few weeds at openings, but otherwise none. Also no leaf fungal diseases this year. It was kind of amazing!

Fall cleanup was easy, the cardboard was starting to rot, so I just put it into the compost heap.

I save Amazon boxes and also cardboard cereal and cracker boxes. They are a
    not as durable as Amazon cardboard, but better than butcher paper. Grocery store brown paper bags are better than nothing.

Mulching on top of cardboard doesn't always work for me. The cardboard rots, then moles come up through it, mixing it into a mess. The chicken feed bags are a heavy woven plastic, very durable. I cut them into sheets and lay them with big overlap. Then mulch on top. That works better. I also use those as inside liners in raised beds,

Logan, eileen and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Daniel, have you ever placed the mulch under those plastic feed sack panels or cardboard instead of on top ?

I know that this is not conventional; however, if the vegetable mulch were under the covering, would it not perhaps partially or completely compost into the soil’s top layer? It could also add structure to the soil.

I am just sitting here and letting my mind wander. I have always had these questions. There are a number of folks on the complex that do this exactly as you do. They have told me that weed suppression is their goal. Suppression and easiness in terms of tilling. These folks sometimes have results like it says on the box. One cannot argue with success, it is just that I wonder if nutrients cannot be added at the same time as weed suppression. It is just a thought, Mr D. I think that I have too much time on my hands. Chuckle.

eileen and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks @Sjoerd and @Daniel W, I haven't used cardboard much but i will in the future, i've made one of those bug houses with the bottle the other day and hung it up in the plum tree.
    We have the cardboard collected with the plastic and other paper every fortnight and I put a lot in the compost bins.

eileen likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

It's an idea, Sjoerd. However, I do think I like the appearance of the mulch on top, and not the plastic. Since most is in pathways between raised beds, I dont think soil improvement there is an issue for me. In the mini-orchard, maybe. I also don't care for walking directly on the plastic, more wear and tear and tripping hazard. The wood chips have a nicer feel underfoot.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    eileen and Logan like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké, gotcha.
    I like the look of the mulch as well.

eileen likes this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I really like this Logan. Thank you for posting. I get a LOT of boxes - so many of my health and grocery items are mail order. I saved a neighbour moving last year with my collection I was saving to organize my canning jars.

This is a good idea for me. Very helpful - thank you :)

Logan likes this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Glad that it will help you Melody :)

Melody Mc. likes this.