Yum, first tomato!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, May 17, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I picked a handful (9-10) of our first cherry tomatoes yesterday and we had them with dinner. They are Sungold, and have a bit of tomato tartness to them. We enjoyed every bite, and almost fought over the last one!
    I love stuff fresh from the garden!

hummerbum and Theodoros like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have two Chocolate Cherry toms sitting in the kitchen calling my name. No one else living in this house likes tomatoes so I don't have to fight anyone for them!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, Jane...YUM! I grew lemondrop and sunsugar last year. They were both excellent cherry's, too. I have a lemondrop f1 that I let grow this winter to see if the offspring was any good, I think they passed the Ollie test, I saw Ollie trying to find every yellow one on the bush in the greenhouse the other day. He was willing to pick the green ones and eat them. Evidently he likes tomatoes of any color, too.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, Ollie definitely has a discriminating palate!
    We have red and yellow pear tomatoes in, also. Some folks don't like them, but ours are crisp with a sweeter taste than the Sungold.
    I can hardly wait for them to ripen so I can make a "Jewel Salad" with the orange Sungold, and the red and yellow pears. A bit of fresh purple basil and a vinagrette, and my husband could eat an entire bowlful (and I'm not talking cereal bowl!).

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane that salad sounds good. Is this the purple ruffles basil, red rubin...??? any specific variety? I have the purple ruffle and it is like pure licorice.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, I'm not sure what variety it is. It came up volunteer and I transplanted it into a big pot--the leaves are very pointed and deep purple, almost black. It doesn't look much like the purple basil I planted last year--it may have reverted.

8. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

MG~ If your purple volunteer has pointed leaves, it may not be basil at all but perilla, that look a lot alike. Does it have purely a basil smell or kind flowery? I am so jealous of you Texans with ripe tomatoes, it'll be a while yet for us here in TN.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Happy May 17th! I know that was the day before yesterday but it's Norway's Constitution Day and a big holiday here. I find it only fitting that you celebrated with tomatoes while we walked in the parade despite sleet and rain. :D Here's hoping you'll get to eat tomatoes to your heart's content.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Rockhound, that's what I thought at first--perilla or shiso. But when I tasted it, it had a basil tang. I truly think it is a basil that has reverted to one of its "parent" basils.
    Don't be jealous. We will be suffering through tomatoless heat while y'all in Tennessee are enjoying your summer tomatoes!

11. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Miss Jane, I don't really mean this the way it sounds.

I HATE YOU!

Mine have just gotten their first blooms.

You'll forgive me, I'm sure, since I'm listening to Hank Thompson and Ernest Tubb tonight.

12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Understandable FBG. My mouth is watering, but it is store bought until the end of August before fresh tomatoes show pink skins in my yard. Enjoy those toms for the rest of us ;)

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I highly recommend the Chocolate Cherry tomatoes. I ate the two that were calling my name and they are delicious. Now I have to wait until my poor little plant puts out more....or go to the nursery and pick up a couple more plants!!!

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I grew the chocolate cherry last year and I though it was a great tomato, too. I will put another couple in this year. How about Isis candy? has anyone grown those before?

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I can't wait to eat my first garden fresh tomato! But it will be a while since I just planted my tomato plants out yesterday.

16. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

Toni~ No need to buy extra plants. Pull off a couple suckers and put them in a pot in the shade for a few days til they root, then set them out.