Yum, first tomato!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, May 17, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG, no offense taken. I'll send you the same message when you are eating July tomatoes and I'm struggling to keep my plants alive for the fall bloom set.
    I'll try those chocolate cherry tomatoes next year. They do sound delicious!
    Rockhound, I've had tomato stems root into the ground when I was remiss in my tieing them to the trellis. Not that I'm usually remiss . . . .

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great news, MG!
    The news makes my mouth water too.
    Send pics when you have the time please.

3. Brad

Brad New Seed

I have had chocolate cherry in my garden for two years now and love them. The plants get SO big that I had a hard time controlling them lat year. They grew up and out of my cages and across the tops of others. This year promises to be a great year. The plants have never looked this good before. I just hope the heat stays away this year and we get some rain. I also have Cherokee Purple plants I started from some seeds I saved from lats year. They look good also. I'll post some pics this weekend.

4. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Hey where are the pics marlingardener!! I guess that i have to wait for the next batch....LOL :D

Advertisement
  5. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Congrats to all you lucky people who've tasted your first tomatoes this year.

As for the rest of us...anyone else need a tissue? Or perhaps a beer to cry in? :D

Darn! I've got at least a couple of weeks to go yet.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Okay, y'all, here's what I picked this morning:

[​IMG]
    One morning's pickings ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

There is one lone red pear tomato in among the Sungolds, and the bigger one is our first Celebrity of the season. Guess who is having salad for lunch!

carolyn likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

YUM!

I grew one called Cherry Falls this year. It is really for a container. but I think it would do better in a raised bed type setting, as it really does "drape", and let it "trail" over the side, it is not really upright and I have it in hanging baskets and they are PATHETIC looking. I am ashamed to even post them here as they are somewhat of a failure. BUT they have an excellent texture and flavor.

8. Brad

Brad New Seed

Sample of good things to come

If the weather holds out and we get a bit of rain soon things are looking good. HEre are the pictures I took yesterday of some of the plants. Unfortunately we are still a few weeks away from harvesting. We have gotten some blueberries and a only a few strawberries :'(

[​IMG]
    Just BEAUTIFUL ( photo / image / picture from Brad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Here is most of the garden ( photo / image / picture from Brad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Cherokee Purple ( photo / image / picture from Brad's Garden )

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Brad, I love looking at pictures of tidy gardens, well laid out, and obviously thriving. Unfortunately I can't take that kind of pictures of our garden! :oops:
    I picked five Celebrities this morning, along with a couple of dozen cherry tomatoes. I have to peek, stoop, and lift foliage to find my tomatoes. You will have a much easier time of it when your harvest arrives! Your gardens are truly stunning.