Yurt trip

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Sep 26, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have been asked sooooo many times "Why would you spend a couple of nights in a Yurt?" Simple answer is because we never had before.

Home, funky, home for two nights.
    [​IMG]
    Yurt ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The skylight with a view...
    [​IMG]
    Skylight, wish it had been snowing ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I thought we had taken photos of all the inside but I guess not. The wall all the way around looks like this. The brown rectangles are windows that are covered up. To the left are the heater, small air conditioner and a small night stand with drawers. To the right is a bunk bed and then the mini refrigerator and a microwave. The purple thing next to the Futon is a cool drawer I found at a junk shop the first day.
    [​IMG]
    Inside of Yurt ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Our truck and Yurt with Ashe juniper trees with really cool looking trunks.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The first night was cold and rainy so no sitting outside. But the second night three of our neighbors came to call, the other two were camera shy.
    [​IMG]
    One of the neighbors ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Dinner our first night was at Grandy's. We didn't know our way around Abilene yet so we picked the first familiar place we found. Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes, both with a good covering of cream gravy and green beans...which would have tasted better with a good covering of cream gravy too.
    [​IMG]
    Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and green beans ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The first night being cold and rainy we heard the wind and rain all night. The second night was clear as a bell and every time I woke up during the night I could hear Coyotes howling in the distance and early in the morning I heard the cattle at a farm next to the state park lowing in the distance wanting to be fed.

eileen, Sjoerd, Jewell and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Sounds like it was a great experience...
    Good report and pics...

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It sounds like fun. I like the looks of the inside of the yurt. Do you expect that you will do this again sometime?

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It sounds like a nice vacation. I've always wanted to stay in a yurt and your visitors were the best kind. Quiet!
    Did you get a chance to visit many of the antique and second hand stores?

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never seen the inside of a yurt before and was surprised at just how comfortable it looks. I can imagine that it was a great place to stay for a vacation. I hope you found lots of junque to show us from your travels Toni.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Between Friday afternoon before checking in at the state park, all day Saturday and the afternoon on Sunday before heading home we wandered through 19 junque/antique mall/thrift stores. I didn't find a whole lot but will get those photos posted tomorrow.

Not sure we will do it again. The beds were so hard and small compared to the king size water bed we have here at home. AND did you notice the lack of bathroom fixtures in the Yurt? The community restrooms and showers were about 100 yards away, but as one gets older sleeping peacefully the whole night through is not likely to happen, thank goodness for camping potties.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A yurt would be a no-no for me then. The thought of hard beds and no toilet facilities inside would really put me off. I've had my days of camping out with only the basics when the kids were young. Now I prefer a nice, warm B&B.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Mmm, that looks so cosy. I think I would love that as hard beds are not a problem. The skylight lets in so much light, it's plain to see. I can see settling down there with a good book occasionally.

At least you can say you have spent some time in a yurt now Toni and also educated some of us to their existence. That would qualify as a successful trip! Thanks for posting your photos.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Looks better than some cabins I've stayed in at parks! Funny how our camping techniques change with age. When I was younger, a sleeping bag just thrown on the ground was good. Then added a tent. Then an air mattress. Then a basic cabin. Now, I think I'd need a cabin with full facilities. Or maybe just get a hotel room and drive to the park? :stew2: