Zucchini plants sick - please help (gnats? disease?)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by neoserenity333, Jun 2, 2021.

1. neoserenity333

neoserenity333 New Seed

Thanks in advance for any help on my sad young zucchini plants. Last year my zucchinis grew great, but this year I put them in a different location, used different seeds, and recycled old soil. Photos attached show the problem I can see: Leaves have tons of little spots on them and crinkled (disease?), tons of tiny black flies on/around the soil (fungus gnats?), not growing very well, leaning over as though weak stem/root. I had added chicken/steer manure to try to supplement the old soil but worry there was disease and gnats that were carried over. I also recently fed with compost & granular fertilizer. Hopefully these can still be rescued...

Any suggestions for management? Neem? I am trying to water less and move to sunnier location with improved air circulation.

Greatly appreciate any ideas and help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Lookks like they need more direct sunlight ! They are full sun plants but will tolerate a bit of shade ! Do you see anything on the back of the leaves ? If not in direct sunlight,, powdery mildew is always a problem ! But even if thats it,, it doesn`t usually affect the harvest ! I have had it on mine ! To rid them of the fly problem,,and other pests, go to the pet center of your dollar store or Wal-mart or anywhere that carries pet supplies and get some dog or cat flea killer ! The pump spray type, MMis about a tablespoon with a pint of water and spray them well,, front and back of leaves ! That will take care of any pests ! You can use this spray weekly if needed ! Both are safe to use ! Pyrethrin in the cat flea killer is also organic ! Permethrin in the dog spray is the man made version ! Just check the ingredients before you buy !