I know Spring is coming...I am preparing for it anyway

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by carolyn, Mar 25, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I started by perusing the seed catalog and deciding which to order....So I ordered a bunch on 12 31 2112... They arrived within days

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

I started my petunias and tomatoes, lobelia and bacopa, a little this and a little that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Germination began with the help of heat mats, plastic trays with covers, lights soiless mix and of course the seeds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    starts of tomatoes and petunias week of 2/15 ish 2013 ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

Transplanting began and so did a small break just waiting for them to get big enough to move to the next house...

The move was made and rows of tomatoes were planted for growing directly in the ground and then the hanging baskets, potted tomatoes and peppers were transplanted and placed up and down the rows surrounding the planted tomatoes. The next day I went to check the plants and the entire row of pink tomatoes was eaten by pill bugs grrr! I had to replace those with other varieties and re rooted two that were salvaged. Hopefully I can still put those back out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I await some more sunshine and warm weather and mother nature to do her effort to make flowers and fruit. I am so ready for spring outside, not just in the greenhouse.

Frank, Sjoerd, Henry Johnson and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You have an impressive amount of seedlings Carolyn. What a pity the pill bugs got to your pink tomatoes. I hope the next batch don't get eaten too.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm so glad you believe in spring. :D Your seedlings look wonderful. I hope your tomatoes will be safe this time around.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks, Eileen and Droopy. The tomatoes will do better, I sprinkled and insecticide around each hole :smt021 :smt071 :smt068 :smt070 after the second planting got chewed, too now I am waiting for the pink ones I salvaged to get a little bigger....Then I'll try again.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Your seedlings look beautiful Carolyn! And your greenhouse set up looks pretty good too. Good luck with the pink tomatoes.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great looking seedlings Carolyn!

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

And so the spring adventure begins. The plants are looking good Carolyn. You can generate enough excitement with those pictures that we can ignore the snow outside. I will print the picture for inspiration.

Jerry

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, I am honored that you want one of my pictures, even if it is only for inspiration (mostly for me it is perspiration), but please feel free to love it. It is the belief that spring is coming.

Netty and CM, thanks. This actually was one of the nicest years for seedlings for me. I attempted to refrain from watering...ever. while they were at the seedling stage. Some of them only got a tiny drink or two while in the seed house. Algae was much less this year and thankfully, damping off didn't happen at all.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow! Look at all those healthy seedlings!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It does my soul good to see your seedlings. Why gosh--when I see that I can believe in spring too! :)

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Lookin Good Carolyn! It's so nice to have something to nurture while waiting for the weather to straighten up.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, this was one of the nicest seed starting years I have had for a while. I put a systemic on all the plants I wintered over when I brought them in last Fall and this spring was a "dry" trial in the greenhouse. I tried not to water anything that didn't need it.

S, It does make us believe that Spring is coming....soon.

Kay...it keeps me busy and less seasonally depressed.

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Carolyn.... just curious... what things did you NOT water?

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Carolyn,..that is a huge amount of progress and everything looks so healthy neat and tidy,..congrats.

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, I tried to let the soil dry to the point of being light brown and even letting the plants wilt a little before watering them, I did not water the whole flat or tray, I only watered the spots that were dry looking.

Thanks Philip. I really appreciate that Kevin took the time and effort to build my little greenhouse and then all the others. I really need the "work" just to get me out of the house during the cloudy cold weather, but it isn't so big I can't keep it tidy, right now though, I am weaving around stuff that keeps getting set to the side, such as my grow mix, empty flats, the worm farm, etc...as I do the seeding. Today I started a bunch of different varieties of tomatoes, but very small quantities of most of them. and all of my hot peppers.

Philip Nulty likes this.