Marlingardener’s Plea

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Oct 13, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Melody Mc. likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We donated vegetables, although because of the heat and drought, less than usual. Now we are into the "giving a check" time of year. The pantry receives so many monetary donations, as well as canned goods, during holiday time. However, having the means to purchase food for those in need until the holiday donations come provides something more than canned green beans and macaroni and cheese mix.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great work, Jane. You are a good person.

Melody Mc. and Daniel W like this.
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I forgot about @marlingardener's plea, but I did share.

The hens were egg-producing fanatics this year. I gave away 8 dozen eggs over the summer. Not to food bank - they might have some rules about home eggs - but to neighbors and people at the free clinic where I volunteered.

I took several boxes of Asian pears and apples to the food bank.

Also, both of those, plus grapes, a few dozen eggs, to my neighbor who is a Vietnam veteran and can't get around much.

I also left some boxes of *perfect* Asian pears at Meals on Wheels, where I volunteer. Also there, some boxes of heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and a box of duck eggs to someone who likes those.

I try to share some of the plenty. I always try to pick the best to give away, because no-one would like getting flawed food.

Some apples probably rotted, because I couldn't get to them soon enough. I'm less able than I was. I can't do anything about that.

I gave some extra tomato and zucchini plants to some neighbors, too.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel, you do so much for the less fortunate, while you yourself have some limitations. Chapeau, mate.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Daniel, more generous people doing what they can would make this a better world.

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thank you @marlingardener for the plea. It's always good to urge us to be thoughtful of others with less.

This year I had hoped to give away some flowers, too. We don't just live by food. However, I wasn't able to grow a nice enough flower crop for that. Maybe next year.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I love this thread MG.

The drive to the foodbank is a bit far and rough for me to transport produce, but I share with my neighbours. It was a good squash year, so everyone had their squash for Thanksgiving. I have three senior nieghbours that just call when they are ready for another one. I can usually keep them in squash until Feb or March. A basket of potatoes, carrots, chard, onions, leeks and swiss chard went to two neighbours. I have another neighbour that gets a bag of carrots on their gate every two weeks all summer. They received their last bag last week. I have two neighbours that I make a couple of large meals for when they are haying. My one neighbour gets a fresh bouquet of flowers every couple of weeks when I deliver her bread and baked goods. Sometimes it is wild flowers. I still have sweet peas ( that look very funny because they've been eaten up to the top row of flowers) so she received her last bouquet for the season yesterday.

Not many things in life feel as good as giving.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Not many things in life feel as good as giving.
    You are so right, Mel! The joy the recipients feel is shadowed by the joy the giver feels.

Sjoerd, Melody Mc. and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I had a bumper crop of zucchini bats, do I've been making & donating loaves of zucchini bread. I now also have a bumper crop of butternut squash coming in that I will donate.

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Gardens are for sharing. I like to share when I have things to share.

How did you get your chickens to lay so many eggs? @Daniel W My chickens seem to be a bit lazy this year.

Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You guys have done really well. I agree that is very nice to give cut flowers. Daniel saw it right— we don’t just live by food.