Need help with easy-cut, small piece meals

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Sep 15, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

In mid-August my husband had a close encounter with his table saw, and cut his thumb tip rather badly. After two surgeries, his thumb is going to be mostly there, and functional.
    Now that I've made y'all nauseous we can have a collective "Ewww!" and I'll get to the help part.
    I need recipes that can either be cut with a fork, or contain small pieces of food. I've gone through meat loaf, hunter's stew, beef stroganoff with rice, pasta with meat sauce, and chicken, pasta, and tuna salads. My repertoire of recipes is about exhausted and I have at least two more weeks of itty-bitty food particles to serve before he can wield a knife as well as a fork. HELP!
    Can you suggest foods, or give me recipes?
    When this is all over, I'm going to treat myself to a big ol' steak! In one piece!

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

The Chicken pieces in Brunswick Stew are pretty small and certainly do not need cutting on the plate as it is done when removing the bones when the chicken pieces are cooked, before adding the sweet corn.
    No idea what else is in it or how it is made, not my department.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes, Brunswick stew! I hadn't thought of that, and it is one of my husband's favorites. Thank you, Palustris!
    And Toni, I have the ingredients on hand for Shepherd's Pie, which we will be having tomorrow night. Great suggestion! I'll check out the other recipes you suggested and we'll probably have them soon.
    Please folks, keep the ideas coming--I have at least 12 more days of making fork-friendly food.

Advertisement
  6. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Pasta and meatballs, make the meatballs smaller.
    hamburgers
    BBQ's
    Bratwurst in a bun
    Soups
    Fried cabbage and sausage
    Burritos
    Tacos
    Tuna salad
    Chicken salad

For desert, thumb print cookies but that may go over so good.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

How about stir-fry? You cut the pieces small before cooking. You can stir-fry just about anything.

dooley

marlingardener likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ham & potato casserole, good old southern pork pot roast & vegetables, I also like the cabbage and sausage stir fry, I use a hot sausage. Also good made with kraut bought or homemade and steamed with about half a can of beer & whatever spices you prefer with German dishes. If you have leftover pork roast sauté some onion, when tender add chopped leftover roast & maybe some diced potato (small dice), season & sprinkle dry pancake mix over top while cooking (just a sprinkle) flip & sprinkle other side. Turn till both are brown !! Serve as a sandwich on onion roll or your choice of bread and a good mustard maybe a slice of pepperjack !!

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Do Chinese, no need knife to eat ... :)

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

That made me laugh out loud.
    I'd recommend fish. Fry it up... or grill it. Or bake.

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Green chili pork. Just throw a pork loin in a crock with lots of green chilis and let cook til it falls apart. It's yummy

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My husband makes a mean chicken-mango curry. The chicken is cut into bite-sized pieces and sautéed with the spices.

Homemade soups.

I am guessing he is not a salad man?

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Chicken curry over rice. Cut up the chicken small enough and all you need is a fork..or spoon.

Some mexican dishes don't require a knife....casa dias, tacos and burritos come to mind, They can be held to be eaten, and if you serve them with refried rice and beans, those don't need to be cut up either.

And speaking of beans....there are many bean soup recipes that are hearty enough for a meal, especially if you serve them with a crusty bread for example. Also again thinking of beans, there's good ole' Hoppin' John, or New Orleans red beans and rice.

I have recipes if you need them.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Love these ideas (except the thumb print cookies ;) )!
    Actually, he does like salads, and we've been having salad lunches. Right now it's a bit warm here for soups, but I will keep them in mind when the temperature drops. Sandwiches have to wait until the big bandage comes off. The doctor said to cover the bandage with a plastic bag when showering or eating sandwiches. He refuses to bag his hand to eat a sandwich!
    I"ll try the curries, a stir-fry or two, and the green chili pork. That will hold us until I get to the grocery to stock up on ingredients.
    Y'all are so kind to give me good ideas. Thank you!

15. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

I don't have any recipe suggestions, but anyone that uses a table saw on a regular basis might want to consider one of these. http://www.sawstop.com/how-it-works/ Be sure to watch the hot dog demo.

It might make a nice Christmas present for Lefty (or Righty, as the case may be) this year.

16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Roy, I'll pass this on to my husband. I'm just not up to watching the hot dog demo right now. Graphic memories, y'know?