My Bears

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by dooley, Jan 24, 2006.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

These are a few of the bears that I have made over the years. The little gray one is the first I made in 1989. The one in the basket is a puppet. The big one is the largest I have made. He's 34 inches tall.

[​IMG]

Dooley

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. dooley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

You're very talented dooley :D Is it hard to make one? I'm presume the first one would be the most difficult to make, after that there would be the same process. Am I wrong?

I like the bear wearing the snazzy checkered jacket :smt023

4. dooley

The first one was a challenge. I made it because my son, who is a master bear maker, told me I couldn't make one that wasn't fur because the seams showed. I didn't think that mattered too much. Basically the production is the same. Some material is harder to work with than others. Even if you use the same pattern , they never turn out the same. Each one is individual. I do have to add some stuffing to the big one. I'm never sure when to stop with the stuffing and have some very fat bears. Dooley

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love the one sitting in the chair Dooley - he looks sooooo comfortable. :D

Advertisement
  6. dooley

The one sitting in the chair if Brian's favorite. It even went on a trip to the Grand Canyon with us. Our son was introducing us to his soon to be wife that week. She asked Brian why we were taking a bear to the Grand Canyon. Brian told her, "because he's never been there." Wendy didn't say anything at the time. But, on the way home we looked back and she was holding the bear up so it could see out the window. Bears sort of take over. When there is so many they fill up the empty spaces. I even find myself talking to them. Yesterday, we re-arranged the living room. When a room is full, there is always room for more if you move everything around. We got a whole new/used entertaintment center in the room. Now, we have a room divider and it's like a big room and a little room. The little room is for my sewing machine and computer. dooley

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I only have three bears here Dooley. Little Fred who sits beside me at the computer. Snowy the polar bear who sleeps in my bedroom. Then there's Huggie an adorable, soft, cuddly bear that I cuddle up to when I feel ill. Even although I don't have many I wouldn't part with the ones I have as my daughter, Laura, gave them to me. :)

8. tweetykiss

tweetykiss Seedling

I love your bears Eileen. I have only made two in my life. I made a little one in 1998 that didn't turn out too well and then another in a class I took in 2002 and her name is Victoria. She is maybe about 10 inches.

You have a great collection.

9. dooley

The bears on the table are only part of the ones that I have made. I usually give them away. Sometimes I sell one but not too often. If I'm making something for money, I worry too much about little mistakes. If I'm giving it away, I just guess they take their chances. I have over 300 bears in my collection. Dooley

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

They're wonderfully varied and cute - I can't sew to save my life, so I have great respect and awe for those who not only can sew, but can make such creative things. Well done!

11. dooley

Thank you! I learned to sew on a treadle sewing machine when I was quite young. I only had to wait until my feet could reach the peddle. My brother used to set under the cabinet and work the peddle with his hands if I wanted to sew faster than I could peddle. The first thing I ever made for myself was a summer sundress. No sleeves to worry about. When I went to stay with cousins, my aunt taught us to embroider to keep us out of trouble. I've always made a lot of my clothes and some of the boys clothing until they got big enough to want what the other kids had. When my oldest was in high school, I made him a lined sports coat because material was cheaper than buying one. Dooley