Collecting seeds (tips wanted please)

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Jacquelyn, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Seedling

First I dont really know where to put this so I stuck it here. I have some flowers that I really love and want to know what plants I can collect seeds from and how. One is Mexican Heather, another is my petunias, and my silvias.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Jacquelyn, I have saved petunia seeds just to see if they would grow for me the next year. I was not sure if was going to be a similar to the parent plant or not, experiment...and they did grow ell enough or similar enough to them to suit me. All i did was pull off the brown seed capsules and store them in a plastic container with a screw on lid. but do let them dry far a few days before closing up the container for storage. I also save the little desiccant packs from pills to put in with my seeds.
    I would think trying a similar method for the others would be suitable. but maybe someone else will have more specific instructions for you.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I store my seeds in envelopes. I don't like to use plastic as the seeds get moldy if they aren't completely dry.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've collected seeds from a few plants already this year.
    I let them air dry for several days (indoors) and then place them in labeled envelopes. I then place those inside of zip-lock baggies sorted by various criteria.
    I then place the baggies inside a plastic container (which isn't air-tight, thus the reason for the baggies).
    The plastic container is kept on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.
    I must mention, this is the first time I've saved them this way. I hope I'm doing it right.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I really enjoyed all the flowers. The best was the last photo of the plants and path. Lovely tour :-D

7. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Seedling

Thanks to all.. But what I really need is to know where the seeds are in the plants.... i dont know where to find them

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Jacquelyn, seeds are found where the plant produces a flower. This will not change from plant to plant, it is a given. However, not all seeds are formed the same way. Some are encapsulated in flesh, such as apples, pomegranates, pumpkins, watermelon, etc. Some are encapsulated in a hard shell, such as flower seeds like petunias, ageratum, sunflowers, etc.
    Jacquelyn, here is a little tutorial for gathering seeds.

I have petunias, so I can give you some help with my own pictures.

[​IMG]
    petunias, side view ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

I put a leaf behind it so you can see the base of the flower. At the base is a set of green "petals" called sepals, inside this is where the reproduction of the plant takes place. You can see the rounded part of the stem, that is called the ovules/ovary. the female part of the flower.
    After the pollen from the stamen/anthers touches the stigma part of the flower, pollination has occurred, beginning the reproduction process of the seed cycle.

[​IMG]
    spent flower ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )
    Pollination has occurred and now there is no need for the flower petals to attract any more insects to transfer pollen to the stigma.

[​IMG]
    seed capsule ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

Pollination has occurred and the seed making process has begun.

[​IMG]
    mature seed capsule ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

The seeds are now mature and ready to begin the cycle again.
    this is the basic seed making cycle of the petunia. You, of course, need to pick the seed capsule off of the plant before it bursts open dropping the seeds all over the ground

[​IMG]
    opened seed capsule, seeds all over the plant ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

When the seed capsule turns brown and dry looking, is when you need to pick or snip the seed capsule off the plant. Put it in a paper envelope, label the envelope with the kind, size of the plant, (this way you will know what to expect and how far apart to plant them after you get them started), the color of the flower and when you harvested the seeds.

Most likely the other flowers you are asking about will be the same general principal for gathering the seeds. good luck and I hope this helps you.

cherylad, Jacquelyn and Karrma like this.