Daylilies that bloom in August

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by Petronius, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Which daylilies bloom strictly in August?

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The only very late bloomer I have is Sandra Elizabeth(Stephens '83) It is a yellow 6" tetraploid with a deep yellow throat. Typically it opens during August but has been known, depending on the type of season, to open in September. The scapes are about 28" in height. Another late bloomer developed by Bob Seawright in 2010 is the dark red Carmine Elizabeth but I was not able to get one before he retired in 2013.

Jerry

P.S. There was another progeny of Sandra Elizabeth called Scarlet Elizabeth. Bob developed from the Red SE line. Released in 2012 it too is a late bloomer. When Bob closed the doors in 2013 I was unable to get any of the red SE's or children. Perhaps another nursery has continued the line. I did get a lot of others...as late as was available. Posting from 2013. Pictures of some of the new daylilies.

P.S.S. Watch out for re-bloomers as they first had to bloom earlier in the season and the strength of the re-bloom is usually weak.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry, I think I have a Sandra Elizabeth, but I have lost track of where she is. (Neglectful me). I suppose I should just watch for the last blooming daylily & see if that is she!?

5. Cayuga Morning

@Jerry Sullivan
    I think I found her. She put out two blooms today for the first time this season, and has plenty more buds coming. She is about 28" tall and the flowers are a clear light yellow. Here is a photo:
    Do you think this is Sandra Elizabeth? IMG_20180808_092412.jpg

Please excuse the color...photo taken in full sun, coloring never comes out accurately that way. The color is more yellow.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Yellow? Because it looks washed out. Yes, Sandra Elizabeth is a very good bet. Did you get it from Bob Seawright? The scape because it is a tetraploid should be thicker than a diploid. I have one in the back yard that looks it will open in two weeks. About the right time for a daylily not in the best petunia area. This one has direct sun for about 3 hours.

Jerry

7. Cayuga Morning

Yes, I did get her from Seawright. And she does have a stout scape. I have her at the back of my meadow garden where she is lost among the tall phlox. Will definitely move her next spring.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I envy gardens with Lilies blooming in August, my Daylilies bloom in March, April or May depending on how warm the Spring is. By August they have all done their best but 100+ temps are just too much for them.

9. Cayuga Morning

Toni, hearing from you on the Stew has made me appreciate just how different the climate is from northern US to southern Texas!

10. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I have been seeing a deep golden yellow daylily flowering this August. What might it be?

11. Jerry Sullivan

This time of season a late or very late yellow blooming daylily would lead the parade of possibilities of being a Sandra Elizabeth. However, with the number of cultivated daylilies approaching 90,000, applying a name to an unknown specimen is a shot in the dark.

Jerry

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Petronius likes this.