Finally, My Greenhouse is done

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by Emmett, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Emmett

Emmett New Seed

I have always wanted a greenhouse. Now that I'm retired, I decided to build one. Made my own plans, and now it's ready for plants. Winter is coming on here in East Texas, not the freezing kind, but cold. I want to save all my hanging plants, and pots that were on the porch, plus start my veggies for my spring garden. Any tips you may have, please feel free to contact me and help me along. I appreciate all the help I can get.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Emmett, Perhaps some pictures to see what we are dealing with. How much room you have and what types of plants will be in the greenhouse. Is the greenhouse temperature regulated?

Jerry

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Emmett - nice to have you here with us. As Jerry said a picture of your greenhouse would help us to help you. Looking forward to seeing your completed project. :-D

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Congratulations on your new toy, Emmett! Although I shouldn't call anything so labor intensive and useful a toy, I suppose.
    I don't know a thing about greenhouses, but sure would like to learn along with you, so post questions, pictures, and tell us about what you find out about growing in a greenhouse.

Advertisement
  6. Emmett

Emmett New Seed

Jerry, I'm also new to this forum, don't know how to post a photo yet. The greenhouse is only 8x8, already wish it was bigger. I know I will build another one next to it.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Easy to follow How-to instructions HERE

Now we want to see those photos ;)

8. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi Emmett, surely by now you know the rules about photos on this forum...it is compulsory, at least that was what I was told.Soooo come on , keep the rules.

9. Emmett

Emmett New Seed

Thanks for having me, I will post some photos as I progress on this. Right now, I have some bell peppers, a watermelon, tomatoes, and all the plants from the porch in there. Kinda crowded, I'm already planning to put one right beside this one, for vegetables, and also starts for my spring garden. I have a thermometer in there, and it's been staying around 60 with the cool weather. It is supposed to get down to 32 tonight. We'll see. Check back tomorrow for update.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Welcome from Southeast Texas! Looking forward to seeing your greenhouse photos. One day I'd love to have one, just so I wouldn't have to drag plants indoors and keep having to cover & uncover others.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Emmett, Glad to have you with us. I love my greenhouses and I don't know what I would do without them. They really fill up my time with productivity. I can go "outside" no matter what the weather is and stay dry and usually warm. (I save my husband lots of muhlah, because I am not out shopping :rolleyes: )

12. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Hi Emmett, welcome, a greenhouse sounds like a dream come true to me.

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your greenhouse! I'm a tad envious. :D

14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I'll ditto Droopy's comment :D. Welcome and hope you enjoy being here! There are a lot of Texans to share with among the members here and you will get to see gardens from around the world :stew1:

15. Emmett

Emmett New Seed

Thank you, Jewell. I have about 48 tomato plants started, going to put in some other veggies today. Then I'll start some flowers. Not sure what kind yet, all the easy ones or some that is not readily available at lowes. Any ideas?
    So far, it has not gotten down below 50 in the greenhouse at night. Daytime temps on average between 70-80.