from an orchard as a kid to no even a balcony as an adult

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by kume, Jan 21, 2009.

1. kume

kume New Seed

Hi all, I am loving all the wonderful pictures of plants, gardens, balconies etcetera. I grew up in a tiny town in The Netherlands where we had a massive garden overlooking field in the front and back and one side we ordered woods. Now I live in a very yuppy-ish two story apartment in a city monument in Amsterdam. We have no official outside space whatsoever and it is driving me insane!! I already asked the council permission for the tiniest balcony and am praying they will grant us this small luxury.

One day though, I will move out of the city and me and my husband (we are a gay married couple by the way) and our dog Lola will have a garden. I don't need a big garden, but I do need green.

Outside our window we have the hugest tree so when I sit at the table I enjoy watching that.

We do have some sort of French balcony, which is really iron bars immediately fter the door, and in summer I do put plants in the pots I hung on there.. but it is not the same.

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Kume and a warm welcome to GardenStew. Not having access to even the simplest gardening pleasures is torture so best of luck on getting the balcony permit.

Don't forget to check out our blogs, member map and upload any plant images you have to PlantStew for all to see :stew1:
    Details here: http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/help#3

// frank

3. kume

kume New Seed

4. kume

kume New Seed

oops, that doesn't look right... what did I do wrong?

Advertisement
  5. Frank

I fixed the links for you, it seems you linked to the page containing the image and not the image itself. Try right-clicking on the images and choosing "Copy Image Location/Link" and paste that into the IMG codes instead.

6. kume

kume New Seed

OK, many thanks!, but how do I upload them to show as actual pictures instead of links?

7. Frank

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Kume :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from southern Ontario!
    You grew up in a beautiful place. I love that second shot...are those Peonies? I can understand how not having garden space is making you crazy!

9. kume

kume New Seed

I actually believe they are Hortensias... not sure what the English name for those is. They would never grow in our garden as we lived on clay and they do better in the woods. My mum grew up in the woods and insisted to try and they did very well!

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hello, and a warm welcome to the Stew from the coast of mid-Norway! :stew2: Those fields you showed made me drool, and I'm certain Lola would love it out there too. Hop in and enjoy everybody's gardens, photos and discussions, I hope it will help you through the winter, until your window boxes can be planted up again.

I've visited your city, and loved it. Do you live by one of the canals? I've got a cousin in Amsterdam too. He's also Norwegian.

11. kume

kume New Seed

I live in the center so there are canals everywhere. However, I don't live on one myself. There is one at either end of my street. I live very near the Heinken brewery and the Amstel river. Are you familair with those spots?

I visited Oslo, loved it there too!

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Kume, welcome to GardenStew from north Texas.
    The pictures of lovely, I would love to have those views from my windows.

What do you usually plant in you window boxes? Be sure to take pictures of them later this spring, we love pictures.

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Kume welcome to GardenStew from West Lothian in Scotland. :-D My husband and I have visited Holland often and taken trips into Amsterdam which we thoroughly enjoyed - maybe next time we'll wave to you!! :stew1:

14. kume

kume New Seed

I would love to show you around, just let me know ;-) That goes for all by the way!

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

No, I'm not, but we only had an oblong week-end there and we used it to rush through the zoo, the National Museum, several other museums and of course a dinner-trip on the canals and a lot of stuffing ourselves in various restaurants. :D We need to go back, there was too much we never got to see.