Growing herbs

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Brian1985, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Brian1985

Brian1985 New Seed

Hey guys I'm looking at growing herbs and drying them this year. Should I be starting from seed inside outside or buying started plants? I'm in zone 5b. Any tips on growing them. I would like to grow basil, thyme, cumin, cilantro, and rosemary for sure. May try growing some others. Tia

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Brian1985 likes this.
  4. adam.ca

adam.ca Seedling

I'm in zone 6a,
    I did Basil and parsley last year, I started them indoors in Feb way too early but I wanted to get something going. both seedlings grew a bit then kinda stalled, but when we finally bought the house, I planted them in the garden the Basil Exploded!
    I'd say you should definitely start them indoors, I think most herbs are not very needy and will not suffer much from transplant shock and such, not as much as other plants.

in zone 5b you should probably start everything indoors. expect for root veg.

Brian1985 likes this.
  5. Brian1985

Brian1985 New Seed

How far ahead should you start herbs? My average last frost date is may 15th

Advertisement
  6. adam.ca

adam.ca Seedling

I don't think it's going to matter. you could probably start them right now. you'll have some fresh herbs growing on your window ceil for a while until you harden them off and plant them outside. I started them at this time last year, they didn't grow much in the tiny cups (and my cats would nibble at them), they only really took off once outside.

I think the main concern with starting indoors too early, is that the plant will grow too tall and skinny, because of bad lighting and 0 wind / rain / weather. you end up with a mature plant that will have a very hard time "hardening off" and might never really adjust properly to outside.

IDK why, maybe i'm wrong, i just get the feeling that this isnt much of an issue for herbs.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Brian1985 likes this.
  7. mart

mart Hardy Maple

Herbs are basically edible weeds ! They do much better grown outside than transplanted ! Rosemary can get to be the size of a small shrub ! Get a plant for that one ! Rest can be grown from seed if you wish !

Brian1985 and marlingardener like this.