Hello from South Africa

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Caveman, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Morné,

Welcome to Gardenstew from Chelmsford, MA, USA

Jerry

2. Caveman

Caveman New Seed

That is good to know. I once had bad rain and my whole vegetable garden ended up at the bottom of my yard. So I got gem squash and beans growing all over the yard :p And I live on a mountain, so I don't have level ground, I had to make like a foundation for my vegetable garden, but when it rains badly, the foundation is washed away, down the hill. Yes i have winter now, in September, spring will begin :D No I don't live in a tropical area, the east-coast here in SA is very tropical and has nice tropical weather :)

Hi Donna! Thank you very much :) Enjoy your summer while you have it, before I steal it again in September :p

Hi Jerry, I haven't heard of Chelmsford before, I searched it up on Google maps, I see it is not that far from the coast? How is the weather there for growing veggies?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Chelmsford is a suburban town located outside Lowell which is 19 miles nw of Boston. Look here. Veggies....hmmmm I grew a few tomatoes a few years ago. if you look at a satellite picture I live surrounded by trees, not conducive to growing veggies. I do however, grow a rhubarb pie each year. I already ate this years pie. This is the rhubarb and pie crust story.:)

Jerry

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. Caveman

Caveman New Seed

It sounds lovely, but the trees are a killer probably? :/ I have never heard of rhubarb before. It looks like spinach to me? :) I just read your story, it was really funny, a nice laugh for me in the morning :D

Advertisement
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

A belated welcome from the Idaho mountains.

6. Caveman

Caveman New Seed

Hi 2ofus! Thanks very much :) Pretty far from here, like on the complete opposite part of the world :)

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Caveman glad you found this fun online gardening community. I see that you are already finding out that this is a very friendly place. Wow, living on a mountain definitely must have it's challenges. Interesting that your spring starts in September and our fall season starts then. Like you said. Opposite sides of the world. We love seeing pictures of your little corner of the world. Welcome aboard again from a Stewbie in Wisconsin.

8. Caveman

Caveman New Seed

Hi Tooty! Yes I am glad I did. There is a lot going on here and a lot of people. Yes this mountain is tough, I need to maintain my vegetable garden, by removing rocks and preventing it from washing away in the rain season. But I guess it's also fun :) Yes, you live far up north and I far down south. I sowed some seeds that are only meant for spring, but our winter is not that cold, and with my little greenhouse, the seeds might be a success, I might even get 2 harvests out of a season :) The watermelons took really long last summer, so I sowed them now ^^

Mattwer likes this.