How Do You Like Your Eggs?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Philip Nulty, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Aalisha,
    i imagine you will get a few different methods,..due to the amount of containers available to place the egg into,..but my method is to just boil water in a saucepan,..add salt,..stir the water,..and while its still rotating crack the egg open and drop the egg into the center,..you can turn off the heat and let it cook as it rotates in the center.

2. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

French toast is equally good with an added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon beat into the egg mixture. I, also, sprinkle a little cinnamon on each slice as it cooks. Only the top side before it is flipped over.
    dooley

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My previous set of cookware had egg poaching cups, with a thing to hold them over boiling water in a pot. You put a pat of butter/margerine in the cup, plus one egg in each. Set the cups into the holder, it fit inside the rim of the Dutch oven, and place them there over boiling water. You put the main lid on it, and let them cook several minutes until the desired doneness. They were always quite good. I no longer have that cookware set, and my new set doesnt have that option. Each cup had a slot to use a fork to lift it out and pour the egg on your plate when done. :stew1:

4. aalisha

aalisha New Seed

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try Philip's suggestion next time I poach an egg. I usually put some vinegar into the water, but it didn't seem to help so much.

Of course, once I find myself those poaching cups AAnightowl mentioned, I might just have poached eggs every day! haha

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Aalisha, I am on the lookout for another set of poaching cups too. I havent had any poached eggs in a long time, and I do not care for the dropping in boiling water method of making them. I have tried it, just dont care for them that way.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

When we got married we received an electric egg cooker. I though "oh how ridiculous, anyone can boil an egg". Well, as it turned out I used it alot! It hard boiled the eggs to perfection, it also came with poaching cups. Anyone interested in finding them might want to look at the electric egg cookers to see if they still come that way.

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Looks very yummy. I'll take a plate of the aboe with a cool beer please. Do you deliver? :D

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I like eggs a lot of different ways. But especially with a good cup of coffee. :setc_017: :-D

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I knew the egg poaching pan was in the back of a deep, dark cabinet somewhere. My kitchen is really small, it shouldn't have been this hard to find. ;)

This is what I use to make poached eggs.

[​IMG]
    Egg poaching pan ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

This is my new favorite way to make eggs. Hobo eggs!!!

[​IMG]
    hobo eggs ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

We went to a friends house on Sunday for supper and it was a hobo pie supper. Everyone brought their pie makers and we all made hobo sandwiches for supper.
    They used to go camping and their kids would bank the fire overnight for breakfast, hobo(pie iron) egg sandwiches. it consisted of the bread , one buttered slice on each side of the iron and an egg cracked in the center of one side. put the other side over, clamp it shut, put it over the fire and keep turning (so you don't burn the one side first) til it's as cooked as you want it. I think it's an art to make a dippy egg sandwich. I haven't mastered that ...yet. I did the last one on the grill since the fire went out last night, but I will keep trying. the girls keep laying eggs and I have plenty to work with.

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    very interesting about the "Electric Egg Cooker",..i had never known there was such a thing,..oh i like your "Hobo Eggs",..i make the same thing with a sandwich maker,..sometimes instead of eggs i add cheese.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Toni,
    nice going finding your "Poached Egg Pan",..i think its the best way in the end to poach an egg,..less water touching the egg,..compared to my idea of adding the egg to boiling water while its rotating after being stirred,..now that you have dug up the Poached Egg Pan,..i hope you make use of it.

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

dr has a question about eggs. "How do you like your eggs?", is a line from what movie and who said it.

dooley

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Ooooooh Boy!,..i think its from an oldie somehow,..though there may be a new version,..i still don't remember the name of the film,..it might come to me,..but i think this singer might have said it?.

Dino

----------------------------------------------------

I just had to find out!!!!,..yep it was Dino,..Dean Martin said it to Helen O'Connell in the film,.."Rich Young and Pretty".

How Do You Like Your Eggs--Song

14. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

How about...
    Murphy's Romance

Of course, I'm sure that lines been used in thousands of bars around the world. :D

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Yep,..nice one Roy,..its a later version than the Dean Martin one,..wasn't it

James Garner