New Old Junk Hubby Picked Out - UPDATED with plant

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by cherylad, Apr 2, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

We stopped at this Trading Post place that carries all kinds of neat stuff... statues, trellis, windmills... rock, mulch... rustic things... all sorts of neat stuff. We originally stopped to look for something to hang on the "ugly gate". Hubby picked this out. It was a bit too heavy for the gate, so we're going to put it on the "ugly fence" instead.
    Anybody have a clue what it is? We sure don't.

[​IMG]
    ugly thang ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Hubby said we should put some sort of plant in it, but I think that would hide too much of the "iron work". He also mentioned about painting it. But I think I talked him out of that.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Another guess what it is, hmmm..... A holder for something large, It can't be small because it would fall through the bottom. An umbrella holder!!

Next guess :)

Jerry

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Looks like something you would see inside a horse stall or stable,..it would have a container set in it for Oats and the like!.

Next guess.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am not going to even try to guess but I will say I WANT ONE.
    No, don't let him paint it, then it looses it's look and garden decor our style is all about that look.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think Phillip may be on to something. It looks great whatever it is/was. What a super find. :stew2:

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oooo, I want one too! But I would paint it ~ with the distressed look.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Very cool! If it were mine (and feel free to send it my way!) I wouldn't paint it either. I love the patina. I might put a trailing green plant in it. I think a shade of chartreuse would look beautiful against those shades of brown.

I wonder what it is? I'm kinda green with envy.

9. cherylad

It may end up with a trailing plant... if I can find something that will grow in a pretty small pot. The "tray" is barely 4 inches deep and about 10 inches wide. I looked at a few places the other day to see if I could find any kind of container that would fit in it. Nada! Zip! Nothing! The only other thing I could try to find would be some type of tupperware bowl shaped liked that (flat in the back and rounded in the front slightly).
    Or it could be 2 regular small 3-4" pots. But then again, what would survive living in something that small?
    I think Philip may have been close with this "barn" idea... they do have a bunch of stuff "farm & ranch" related. Hmmmm....

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It looks to me like something that would have been attached to the front (outside) of a window, with the lower bit to serve as a holder for an oval flower pot.

That wrought iron form in the center of the framed portion even looks sort of like a vase.

11. cherylad

Sjoerd... that's pretty close to what Hubby said.
    His version was that it represented a window but that the center was a pot of something cooking on a fire/stove... and the top parts were "steam".

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, could you line the basket with coconut coir or whatever that stuff is that is used in hanging baskets?
    It looks like an upside down mirror frame for a large entry table with the ironwork added later. Whatever it is, it's a good one! Your hubby picked it out? Keep him, he's got a good eye (after all, he married you :) ).

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah Cheryl---I can see that too. Very clearly.
    I wish that I could more clearly see what the "V"-shaped thing is at the top of the pot/vase.

I'm thinking that your man may be onto something here.
    You guys live in Texas, right. Imagine that the thing is an old decoration or something from the side of a "chuck wagon". Eh? Whaddya think about that?

Perhaps even a "window" in the side of a chuck wagon for ventilation while cooking. It could have had a rolled-up length of buckskin that could have been let down to close the opening when they were rollin'.

It is an idea, isn't it?

14. cherylad

Oh Jane... you do say the nicest things! :-D
    I thought about that coconut/coir stuff... but I really don't like it.
    I started a separate conversation about what to plant there... guess I should have kept it here.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about21523.html

And Sjoerd... I DO like the way your imagination works!

While discussing this with Hubby... he said he also thought the frame part looked like a fireplace with mantle instead of a window.... still with a big ol' pot of something cooking. Maybe I should wait until AFTER he's eaten and ask his opinion again? :D
    I think this thing is sort of like looking at a big fluffy cloud... everyone sees all sorts of different shapes and stuff. :-D

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I can see the mantle idea too...and the round thing in froont where a flower pot could sit could be like the protective iron things that folksplace in front of fireplaces.
    Yeah, a fireplace with a cauldron of stew or something...yep, that works too. :)

It is sort of like looking at clouds isn't it, Cheryl. It is fun.
    Nice purchase.

16. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Nice! :D I'd love something like that on one of my walls. The rustic effect is striking, keep it that way.