Reporting bad trades

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by Frank, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi all,

I'm sure most of the trades here work out just fine but it's certain that a few go bad also (non-delivery etc...).

So I'm requesting that you report bad trades by Private Message to me. I can use this information to reduce / prevent future bad trades. You can provide as much / little information as you like.

A member suggested a rate and review page but as there may be legitimate reasons why a delivery is delayed I'm a bit wary of adding something like this.

How does this sound? Thanks for any feedback!
    // frank

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  2. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I like the PM idea. Are you sure you're up for this?? Might be extra work :-?

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Frank. I do think there needs to be some way for someone to keep a tab on the seed or (non)seed trades or to ask if a trader has a good reputation for following through on their end of the trade.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Excellent idea Frank. It's good to know that the information will be passed privately to you so that you can deal with it. This ensures that no-one is being 'slated' on the boards when they may have a legitimate reason for not posting or delaying sending seeds off to another member. It also makes it easier for you to deal with someone who doesn't live up to the trading rules here on the forums.

Advertisement
  5. Frank

Glad you guys like this idea.

Well we'll see how it goes. I hope I don't receive too many reports or course! ;)

6. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Hey Frank,

I think that's a good idea. I would also propose a Good Trader sub forum where we can give our thanks to members who we've traded with and want to give them kudos, :D Only positives on that forum so people can see who the good traders are.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Frank--I think it is a good idea too. Worth trying.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Frank, Love the idea of a sub forum to publicly thank those awesome traders here. I really appreciate the idea of the PM also.

Sometimes when only dealing with a person once it is hard to tell if it was a simple mail problem or miscommunication or the trader just wasn't honest. Hope it won't be too much work for you, but I have only had one questionable "no trade" since arriving.

9. Frank

I will get this set up as soon as I get the chance, probably today sometime. We can run it as an experiment and if is useful it can become a permanent fixture :). Thanks guys.

Just a question for everyone: would it be a problem to get thanked publicly i.e. undue attention = extra requests? Just a thought...

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've only had one questionable "bad" trade here. And I wouldn't feel right about saying who it was, because sometimes there are far more important things going on in our lives than plants or seeds (like kids, parents, health, death, births, jobs, etc).
    I wouldn't want to see anyone publicly labeled as a bad trader. And, not wanting to cause you or the other moderators extra work, I think we should report these "bad" trades privately. And if there is alot of reports about a person, then maybe the group should be notified.
    And for the record, I think the "Stew" is the most polite and publicly thankful group of people in the world already! :stew2:

Jewell, Mrs. Galeassi and oubee like this.
  11. Frank

Oh yes Cheryl, that was definitely the idea all along. Bad trades reported by PM only. And good trades rewarded possibly by a new "trader thank you" sub-forum :stew2:

12. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

SO if there is a bad trader out there and it is kept quiet then how will other trader know not to trade with this person? On another forum you can search the web name and see all the feedback on that trader. Then one can decide if they want to trade if there are a lot of bad reviews. There needs to be a way for trades to access this list somehow! just a thought.

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would think that if you are doing a trade with a long time member you wouldn't have any worries about their trading practices. If, like Cheryl said, life got in the way the problem could be resolved between the two members without being reported if everyone was happy in the end.

But if it is a member (newer or even long time), who is not very active on the forum and/or possibly who only posts wanting to trade, then you could contact Frank to see if they have been reported as a bad trader.