Stem has "Leopard like",..markings?.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Philip Nulty, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

In the past six years i have only come across this plant twice in my garden,..i know the picture below shows the plant in its infancy,..but its the stem that may throw light on just what it is,..it has a "Leopard Like" markings,..when it matures the leaves are similar to "Cleome hassleriana,(Spider Plant),..the difference of course is the stem.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Cleome hassleriana Video

Islandlife likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Arisaema speciosum?
    ..or perhaps another Arisaema sort?

That plant stem looks so familiar.

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jerry,
    yes i would say your plant and mine have the same stem markings,..but true!,..the leaf is different.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Hi Sjoerd,
    i just Googled your suggestion,..and i think you have hit the nail on the head,..below is just the one link i looked at,..the stem and the leaves match,..i will study more to pinpoint which one it is,..thanks Jerry and thank you Sjoerd.

Paghat's Garden: Arisaema speciosum

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

To ensure this plant survived the kittens at play i rushed out to place chicken wire around it,..and Eureka!,..i found a second one,..just feet away from the first,..both are protected now as i want to observe this plant.

[​IMG]
    The first plant. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Its next to the rose dead head area. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    2nd plant at the base of the Fern ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    It has 5 Leaves. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is a curious question, Philip. I have never seen an Arisaema with five leaves...but anything is possible I guess. It is also an odd time of year for Arisaema's to be sending up leaf stems. Well, over here it has been a totally peculiar season since the beginning.

What an interesting quandary.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Sjoerd,
    i found one with five leaves,..but the stem is not the same.

Arisaema triphyllum ssp. quinatum (Five-leaved jack-in-the-pulpit) | NPIN

At least i know now that its a species of Arisaema,..the seasons are very strange here as well,..we have our Primrose and Cowslip flower in Spring,..yet i have some in flower since yesterday?, :-o .

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Chocolate,
    perhaps my links resulting in Jerry and Sjoerd's information will assist you in putting a name to yours,..Arisaema are a VERY strange species,..some are Male,..some are Female,..some are both,..some change from Male to Female then revert.

9. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

[​IMG]
    Spotted stem also ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

Good morning, I have similar and hope to be able to label mine with correctID too.A pink lily comes up before the leaves,not the prettiest thing.....I think it is Arisaema of some sort.I am expecting that pink lily in 3-4mths at springtime here.

Islandlife likes this.
  10. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Thanks for that...not sure what happened, small trouble with loading picture,they are interesting plants arent they, I now have a bit more info, thankyou.

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Gremlins in the works,..lol,..oh yours is surely a species of Arisaema,..like you i will have to wait,..how many leaves will mine end up with,..there are five now,..and will it flower,..yours appears very healthy,..a pretty expensive plant depending on the species.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Philip, I was just outside watering and weeding and happen to have a clearance bulb from the spring just emerging and it happens to be an arum cornutum. it looks veeeery similar to your photo

[​IMG]
    arum ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    arum cornutum ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

I don't know for sure if this is exactly the same, but it does have the palmate leaf if you google the image.
    This is the first year I have grown this, so I don't have any prior knowledge for this plant.
    Hope this helps some. If not sorry

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Another great plant mystery. I love these. Sorry I have nothing constructive to add... it's just fun to watch you all narrow down the possibilities until a plant gets ID'd. :smt023

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know, Philip--I think that Carolyn may he spot-on here. Well done, Carolyn!

Here's why I think that she has made a good ID:

--Her Arum's stem spots have nice, crisp borders to them (like your mystery plant) and the Arisaema has sort of flaired and indistinct ones.

--The leaf count on the purple-spotted stem of the Arisaema also isn't a good match. Her Arum is a good match on this count...also the leaf shape and appearance jive.

--Finally, the time of year that the plant is emerging from its bulb in the soil is correct for the Arum, and not so for the Arisaema.

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Carolyn,Sjoerd,Chocolate and Cheryl,
    all i can say is Dangrabbit and Fluffelwoof,..i was sure i was heading in a short straight line to "Arisaema",..now thanks to Carolyn, :rolleyes: :) ,..i am veering off towards "Arum cornutum",..and it looks as if Carolyn could be right in pointing me in that direction,..and Sjoerd agrees as well,..i m going to watch this plant like a Hawk as it grows,..but into what?, :-? .

16. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

HHHHMMMMMMM, you could say that we are all in the same boat, but we are actually in a garden and waiting patiently for this strange little thing to perform and be named.