Stem has "Leopard like",..markings?.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Philip Nulty, Jul 13, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Just to let you know..... it is the same genus of plants. So we really will have to watch it and see.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

[​IMG]
    arum cornutum ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    arum cornutum #2 ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    emerging arum cornutum ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

Philip,

These are the three newest pictures of my plants. hopefully they help you ID your plant one way or the other. The middle leaf is slightly bent in the picture. as it is emerging it is up against another plant pushing it sideways, so it looks as if it's not the longest leaf,but it is. the third is a newly emerging stem and you can clearly see the markings on the stem.

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    your second picture is like one of my plants,..i say one,.. because i think i have two different species,.. one has five leaves and the other six leaves.

The second difference are the leaves on my two,..one pointed and the other roundish,..still its early days and as the two are very young changes will occur,..so i will keep a daily watch on my two mysteries,..either both are Arum cornutum or one is a Arisaema speciosum,..or both are Arisaema, :D .

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Philip, I noticed that the leaves are different from yours. mine has a different leaf shape than yours also, if you look at the two bottom leaves they are a double segmented leaf, not completely separated all the way to the stem as yours are. But I do believe BOTH are Arisaema genus.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Colunatic

Colunatic New Seed

I have a bunch of these growing in a partially shaded area next to my porch. I don't think that it's the arum as it has never bloomed. I'll try to upload a picture.

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Colunatic and welcome. I don't think you are going to notice the bloom so much as the berries that they produce come Fall. The bloom is rather insignificant. It is a spath type flower that isn't very "showy". Just a white sheath wrapped around the actual flower. as the insects use the nectar it produces it is pollinated by whatever is stuck to their bodies from other arum flowers they have visited. First the berries are a "stick" of green globules that eventually turn into a beautiful red column of berries come Fall.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hard to believe that i started this Thread back in 2011 and its only of late that i managed to put my finger on what i had growing in the garden,..this plant had popped up before but didn't bloom,..now i have eight today,..i was clearing an area in the garden to erect a Greenhouse this year and found a huge bulb like nothing i had ever come across before,..the only plants in that area were Dahlia Plants so certainly not one of them.
    So i planted the bulb in a container,..the bulb below,..scroll down.

My Garden,..and Beyond. | Page 29 | GardenStew

Waited to see what it produced and Whoopee it grew and bloomed as below.
    18th June 2015 003.JPG

18th June 2015 073.JPG

18th June 2015 088.JPG

The Leaf on this Plant.
    DSC07111.JPG

Huge size.
    DSC07263.JPG

So i looked it up on Google and looked at Arisaema speciosum /Arisaema griffithi,..the latter was closest as you can see below though there are several species and some with spots others with stripes,..some called Cobra Lily others Leopard Lily,..soooooo i think i have Arisaema griffithi,..pretty enough bloom but flies like it rather than bees or butterflies.
    arisaema speciosum - Google Search

carolyn likes this.