Strong,Dark Green Leafed.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Philip Nulty, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

This volunteer arrived in the garden early spring,..it was growing among the Primroses,..bit by bit i realized it wasn't a Primrose!,..its still as healthy as ever,..but no flower has appeared to date,..any idea what it might be?.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Philip,perhaps it isn't a primrose that you planted but those leaves make me wonder if it isn't a primrose anyway. I have seen a variety of leaf shapes in the world of primroses. That sort of redish colour on the proximal aspects of the leaf stalks also makes me think, primula.

You know what would be really exciting?-- That you have a heretofore unknown, never identified new species.

That would be pretty remarkable, wouldn't it?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have to agree that it does look very like a primrose to me too Philip. I have quite a few that didn't flower for me this year amongst my older plants. I presumed they were first year specimens and will probably bloom next year. Do let us know what it turns out to be won't you?

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Expect the unexpected where plants growing in a garden is concerned!,..up to now this plant has not bloomed,..when it was among the Primrose it blended in well!..i will keep a close eye on it,..maybe someone have come across it,..be it weed or flower.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Eileen,
    i certainly will update when something new happens with this mystery!,..come to think of it that's how i came across GardenStew,..a friend had a plant,..wasn't sure of its name,..i Googled the description,..up popped GardenStew,..and it was Cheryl's post back in May 2010.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about19304.html

Advertisement
  6. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, what a bout ..polyanthus..it is in the same family of plants.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Philip, do you have anything to post about, that is not GREEN? :D :smt003 :smt016 :smt044 :smt106 :smt088 :smt082 I picked out most of the green ones, just for you. By the way your plant does remind me of the primula family.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd say a Primrose also. I tried growing some last year in a container, and it didn't make it. But that's what I remember the leaves looking like.

And wait a minute... my post is what lead you to the Stew?
    Hmmmm... wonder if I should take responsibility of that or not!

:D :D

Joking aside... I'm glad you found this place Philip... your posts are always a joy to see.

9. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi Philip, did you 'google' polyanthus?
    What did you think,it looks like that is what it is to me, I have grown them and they flower beautifully even in shady places....brilliant colours,double or single flowers.

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Chocolate,
    i had a look at the Polyanthus Leaf and it sure makes me wonder,..looks like mine,..but more pointed leaf,..but still in that line.

Mine.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Polyanthus. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Primrose. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Hi Carolyn,
    yikes!,..your reply reminded me of St Patricks Day!,..lots of green,lol,..you think Primula family as well,..i am thinking along that line now.

Hi Cheryl,
    you are thinking likewise,..i will be checking on it daily from now,..in fact i just did moments ago,..oh yes i think you are responsible for my appearance??,..six months after i bookmarked your response,..i signed up.

Now to see will it flower!.

11. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning Philip, polyanthus do very well in the cold, we grew them in N.Z. and they were just fed cow manure and then cow manure.....great flowers, but they only did 1 year well, we replaced them the next year......cant wait to see yours flower.

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Good morning back to you!,..though its night time here and raining since early morning,..non stop.

I look forward to seeing a flower arrive on this plant,..we need some warmer weather i fear.

This year seems to be the "Volunteer Year" in my garden,.. and its early days yet,..who knows what will pop up.

13. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good evening]is that better?]
    The plant will be multi stemmed and should have a group of flowers on each one....cant wait,I havent seen a real one growing in a garden for years,they are sold here in pots but only for decoration really, you are supposed to disgard them when they stop flowering, we used to break them up and replant them again.

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Chocolate,
    lol,..good evening has passed,..its now morning again here,..well coming up to half past midnight Saturday.

I have had 7 Verbascium appear in the garden this year,..now that alone was a bonus.

15. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

That is a bonus, I know it is a herb but am unfamiliar with it really.Do you use it for any
    purpose or just like the lovely velvety looking leaves?
    Oh by the way it is 6pm Sat. evening here.

16. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What kind of Primula have you got growing in your garden? We've got loads of different ones, and that most certainly looks like a Primula to me. They self-seed on occasion so you'll never know what you're going to get flower-wise. I love them. :D