The 'Pinging' has begun

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by toni, Sep 9, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

http://www.gardenstew.com/about760.html here is a copy of the 3 day Sweet Pickles instructions that I have used for years. Really easy. I use Apple Cider Vinegar instead of white vinegar.

[​IMG]
    7 quarts and 2 pints, I ran out of quart jars ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

After sitting in the cabinet for a few weeks, these will deeeelicious....
    [​IMG]
    Close up of soon to be delicious slices ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

SongofJoy57 likes this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mmmm I can just about taste them over here Toni. Apple cider vinegar, in my opinion, is far superior when used for pickling than the usual white vinegar and really enhances the taste.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Great job. They look delicious.

I was wondering about the vinegar in recipes. I have always used what was called for wondering if I could use cider vinegar in its place. Glad to hear that it's ok. I hated the thought of ruining my batch of what ever I was making. So I never substituted. Do you think the color and price dictate the call for distilled vinegar? Cider vinegar has such a nice flavor and it is so easy to make. Just takes a long time to get to the vinegar stage.

4. toni

I've had the recipe for over 20 years and the lady I got it from had used it for at least that many years before then. I think calling for the white vinegar was simply because at the time it was all that the stores carried.

As long as the other vinegar has an acidity level of at least 5% it will substitute for white in pickles.

I found out that distilled white vinegar is made from ethyl alcohol aka grain alcohol, Everclear. The label on a bottle of Heinz white vinegar says it's made from sun-ripened grain and water.....yeah, after that sun-ripened grain as been distilled to become alcohol. So I use it for cleaning but not for ingesting

It will add a little different flavor but it's still very good and the pickle juice is a little darker.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wouldjah just lookit that! Those look great, Toni.

How much of those pickles are you planning on putting-up?

6. toni

I will probably get 2 more batches made. But since my plants were destroyed in the hail storms in the spring then I couldn't garden because of my back and it was too hot to replant I am buying the cucumbers at the
    Dallas Farmers Market.
    Found nice organic locally grown ones last weekend that I used for this batch.

I also want to make some sweet pickle relish with one batch since we go through a lot of pickle relish.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What an energetic woman you are. Sorry to hear about you loosing the plants....annnnd about you being down in your back. Ouch!

Anyway, you have found a way to can some pickles. Power to the pickle! Good luck with the relish.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

How do you like to eat them Toni? Layering them onto a sandwich? :) They look tasty even as a photo.

9. toni

Frank, they are delicious...nicely sweet and crisp..not the limp kind from the grocery store.

Yep, three or four on a sandwich or hamburger is great. Randy's dad, who will get about half of those jars, eats them with a fork right out of the jar and on sandwiches if he happens to have one handy at the time. ;)

Frank likes this.
  10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those look yummy Toni! I think I'd eat them right out of the jar too.

11. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

They are absolutely gorgeous pics, Toni, and mighty good eating for the future!