Up-potting toms.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Feb 12, 2023.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

This is a continuation from - I Need Help with Toms! (gardenstew.com)

My seedlings are now about 5 cm or 2 inches tall.
    [​IMG]

I am thinking of potting them in the 3 inches starter pot err ... cups and burying about half of the stem in it. Is that OK?

Tooty2shoes, Frank, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Mater

Mater New Seed

Yes that is what you should do. They didn't get enough light.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would suggest that you pot them on only after they have two sets of leaves. I replant mine right up to the leaves. In fact,
    In fact, very time I plant my seedlings, I replant them right up to the top leaves. When they are taller, I remove all the lower leaves except the very top two adult leaves.

Wishing you continued good luck, mate.

5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

As Sjoerd mentioned KK, I also wait until they have their first set of true leaves ( mine are usually about 3-5 inches tall at this point). Then I transplant to a 3 inch pot, placing the root ball at the bottom and leaving the leaves exposed at top. I pot up mine 2 - 3 times before I transplant to my greenhouse, but that works for me because of my cold climate. I bury more of the stem each time, removing some of the bottom leaves if necessary.

My rule of thumb after the first potting up, is when the Tom reaches about 3xs the height of the pot, I need to pot on.

You're off to an exciting start - I can't start mine for three more weeks. I'm enjoying your seedlings. :)

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Mater like this.

Advertisement
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I agree with Sjoerd and Melody, every day turn them and put them in more light.

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Mater like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

KK Ng You got this.;)

Mater likes this.
  8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Mater thanks.
    Is it because they look leggy?
    I have no idea why but all my seedlings tend to be leggy except for chili. They are in direct morning sun everyday from 8am to 12noon. I put them in the shade after 12 noon because it get too hot. When they are bigger or older they will be in direct sunlight longer.

OK Sjoerd I'll do just that. Thank you.

Thank you Melody, I will definitely do that. It is getting really exciting for me and I am really happy to get all the support. I am sure three weeks will pass real fast for you. I am enjoying it too!

Logan thanks, I am also in agreement with Sjoerd and Melody, as for the more light I'll do that after the first up-potting.

Thank you Pacnorwest.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Mater

Mater New Seed

Yes. Tomatoes are bad for that. Peppers not as bad. They need more light. I've seen them alot leggier so yours isn't real bad. You could try using a screen from a screen door as shade in the hot part of the day. Maybe 5 or 6 pm put them in direct sun again. I really don't know your climate or how hot or humid it gets there. How hot is it after noon?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Mater, I have put them in the evening sun from 4:30 pm onwards. The temperature in the afternoon here is usually 33°C and actual feel is real HOT!

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

This morning I looked at my tom seedling and decided to up-pot one of the seedling.
    [​IMG]
    Yes it is ready because there are two real leaves and the stem is getting longer.

So in it goes.
    [​IMG]
    Yes it is exciting for me because this is the very first time I am doing this.

Done.
    [​IMG]
    The water uptake will be from the bottom.

Nice!

12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

You’re doing a great job. Isn’t it fun to watch a plant grow and grow from seed. It’s always magical .

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Mater like this.
  13. Mater

Mater New Seed

They have a good color to them so you are doing real good.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Maybe add just a touch more brighter indirect light for 8-10 hours. They are stretching toward the light.
    When are you planning on moving them outside? If in pots once in permanent pots add 1/2 liquid fertilizer each time you water. Since pots have drain holes and much of the liquid and soil nutrients drain out the bottom drainage holes.

Mater and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That seedling is looking good. Great time to planton into a larger pot. Gosh, that seedling looks really good, KK.
    It is so much fun to watch your progress when I can’t even plant seeds yet.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Mater like this.
  16. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Pacnorwest, yes it is fun doing this. They are getting about 6 hours of sunlight now and they going into the ground when it is time.

Thanks Mater, I feel good too!

Thank you Sjoerd, I am very happy with their progress following with the suggestion provided here. Yes it is fun and can't wait to have them in the ground but then again I have to be patient.

I up-potted another this morning, yes it feels good that they are progressing well.