What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Checked on the bees again today. In terms of hive weight, they seemed to need feeding. I gave them some, but they have not eaten from it yet. Hmmmmm. That is food for thought.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

CM... These are what mine look like, I found them for 1.00 at goodwill. They were a life saver this year! Even at full price they are cheaper than a fall or a concussion. I think they were sized as s, m or l. They are stretchy and pull over the toe first and then up the heel.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Today I planted two Marigold types for balcony and garden, two types of toms, melons, two kinds of bell peppers (a round yellow and a long red) and oregano.

4. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I'm watching the ice grow in my gardens. I expect to hear tree breaking before it's over.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Donna I heard 10" of snow for Dulles Airport and 8" for somewhere else. So sorry to hear that for you all.

Today I worked in the greenhouse all day. it is either that or there will be nothing ready for when Spring really does get here. Today I direct seeded 15 flats of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and Kohlrabi. Transplanted basil, rosemary, dill and more tomatoes into big pots. tomorrow I have more transplanting to do and seeds to start.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I fed the birds, checked on the bees and planted some Chinese bieslook (Allium tuberosum) plantlets.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I worked in the greenhouse all day, again. Blessed!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Planted 2 Clematis plants, three Bocking 14 Comfrey plants, red and white onions, a lonicera and a Cytisus 'Lena'.

9. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I fought the battle of the moles. I've decided to feed them every day.
    I have an old blender that smokes when turned on. So I'm making mole juice in it.
    Recipe
    1/4 cup castor oil
    2 TBS. dish soap
    6 TBS. water
    6 castor bean seeds
    1 TBS. cayenne pepper.
    Blend and grind

Add 2 TBS. to a gallon of water.
    and saturate tunnels. I open them up and pour into the tunnels.

It's driving my cats crazy. They can hear the moles trying to get away and they run all over the yard looking at the ground. Did you ever see a cat chase a laser. That's what they look like.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not in the yard today but will be tomorrow and Friday. Today I bought plants, some herbs, two Foxglove, two lavenders to replace the ones the ice took out, a red carnation, several petunias and a Mexican Feather Grass.

I'll post photos of today's purchases when they are planted up tomorrow.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Planted Limnanthes around my blueberry patch. I dug-in some corrugates panels to keep the plants from hanging over onto the path and to keep the blueberry soil from eroding down onto the path.
    Prepared ground for broad beans. I just keep pulling back sections of mulch as I need it to make beds ready for planting.
    Observed bee hives: The worksters are bringing in pollen heavily now. By the time that I do the spring inspection in the middle of april, I expect to find the condition of the bees good and with loads of brood and food. Fingers crossed.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Donna, I had a friend tell me they trapped over 20 moles one spring. She said they baited a mouse trap with peanut butter and put it next to an entrance hole. Place a five gallon bucket over it and keep catching/resetting the trap for them. The trick is finding their entrance/exit holes. If you find one...mark it so you can go back and place the trap there. Moles are in your yard because you must have lots of worms in the sod. That is their main diet.

Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is very interesting, C.
    Moles destroy quite a bit of veg and some flowers each year. It drives me 'round the bend.

14. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Weather is nice today so before breakfast, I sat outside and trimmed the dead foliage off my potted perennials that had spent the winter in our all-seasons room. I have quite a few mint babies, some columbine and daylilies. Im definitely going to plant the lilies this year, Ill probably give away the mints and columbine :)

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hmmm, Watched it snow again.... This weather is like a broken record.