wow! peas are ready

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by carolyn, May 30, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I went to get a picture for the blue shocker peas and to my surprise the other patch was ready to start picking.
    This has been my favorite variety so far for size and production and this year they are even nice than last years peas.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

Frank, Henry Johnson, Donna S and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm officially green with envy. :D Our peas haven't even sprouted yet. :rolleyes: We've got such low temps we only just got them in the ground.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Lovely...just plain lovely!
    Naturally I have a full-blown jealousy attack going on here now. :D hahaha.
    Well done.
    Ten peas in that pod--not half bad at all.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ahhh, Droopy and S, I am sad for you that the weather isn't better for you. Is it always this late getting warmer or is this year a really late year? Last year was a miserable weather year for us. I think it started snowing in Nov 0f 2010 and snowed everyday until it warmed up enough to rain than it rained everyday until July for about 2 weeks, then it was sweltering long enough to ruin all the blossoms on the tomatoes and peppers, and grow a blight issue for all the toms, then it was back to rain for weeks on end longer...I don't know how I ever got anything done out in the garden. I lost my onion patch because I couldn't keep up with the weeds since it was so wet and I couldn't get in there to weed them, this spring we tilled them under. this spring it has been weird also, Hot for the month of March, then we were keeping rowcovers on the strawberries for another 2 weeks since the blossomed so early, now it has only rained twice all spring that I recall. The farmers are throwing clouds of dust up in the air as the work the fields. The weather now has been so hot that there were 8 deaths reported for our area from heat related issues in the last week. WEIRD!!! Weather!!!

Advertisement
  6. donm

donm In Flower

Beautiful peas.

The day you posted the pic of your Blue Shocker peas, I went to the Baker Creek site. They have them but I didn't need anything else so I didn't order them.

On another gardening site a lady was looking for a few late cabbage seeds. I offered some of them to her. She listed some of her seeds for trade and one of them was the Blue Shocker pea. I'm getting the blue peas as a trade.

Don

carolyn likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

10 peas in each pod - what variety are they? My peas are just a few inches tall so far, but I hope they are as productive as yours :)

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, this is the variety "Maestro". It has done well for us in the past, but they are really nice this year.

Don!!! You are a fortunate man. I bought a pound of them and they were a little more than I would normally spend on a pound of peas, but of course 1/3 of the cost was shipping :eek:, but I wanted them, so now I can save them and harvest my own seeds for next year. At the price they were I wouldn't have spent it on a hybrid, though.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see that you have had your share of bad weather and events there too. Fooey!

Well, things here are improvinga bit. There was a sprinkle last night, so while it may make removing the Forget-Me-Nots from the flower garden today a bit of a prob...the crops got the much needed water.
    I am optimistic today.

I planted some low-bush teas this year. Some kapucijners and 'Polis', a green-podded type.

Anyhow, these Maestro's look pretty imprssive to me.
    How would you grade them on a sweetness scale from 1-5...5 being the sweetest?

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, I think they have an excellent flavor and I probably would rank it right up there at 5.

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Carolyn those peas look very appetizing,..i just love them raw or in a stir fry,..i am at present on the Mange- Tout,..but i would steal yours.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

:p Drooooool.
    I shall have to look into these.

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow, I am just putting my peas in. I do have broccoli coming now. We have had many means with it so far.

Barb in Pa.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I found a few blue shockers ready today so I compared the taste and these definitely win. They are much sweeter than the purple podded ones.

15. donm

donm In Flower

When I was reading the feedback on the Baker Creek website, everybody was saying they weren't sweet like the other peas. One of the last posts mentioned they were used in soups and things like that to make the soups creamier and thicker.

Don

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I take it then that these are really not for fresh eating then? More like to dry them and use them that way? Because they really leave an odd texture/taste in your mouth to eat them fresh out in the garden.
    They are certainly awesome to look at in the row, though. As cool as they are to look at, I don't think I will grow them next year. The Maestro's flavor have spoiled me for any other pea :-? .