Recent Entries to this Blog
Horticultural Hope and Glory
Here goes nothing but my hopes and dreams.
I've re-potted my withering African Violet to give it another chance at growing. I think the soil became too compacted and mineral rich for its root structure. For the most part, it hasn't grown much but it is holding on to life, poor thing.
In addition to this, I've also planted the African Violet leaf cuttings I've had sitting in water for a little under three week's time. Here's hoping that they'll grow this time. None of the leaves are anything like what the suggestions said they should be. They're scarred and brown in some places and from parts of the plant not recommended to propagate from. Yet, when I did follow the directions, my cuttings all died on me. So, I figured I'd break the rules.
I've also planted nine Nasturtium seeds in various pots around my room. They're old seeds from my last big seed purchase, so I'm not expecting much even if I am hoping. If they do grow with the new watering schedule and lighting I have in my room, I'll be very happy indeed.
The Tangelo looks like poop. I had it under a clear cup for humidity and now it's getting used to the dry air of my room. Well, we've all got to grow up sometime.
The pineapples look fantastic...and fantastically small. I have them growing in an inch and a half of soil along with the newly planted nasturtiums. All of this is covered by a top to prevent moisture escaping. Once the nasturtiums start growing, I'm taking the cover off, come what may. It's time for the pineapple babies to be weaned as well.
The Pelargoniums look excellent. I really hope they flower this year. I have both cuttings and seed grown plants from last year that didn't bloom. I'm going to experiment with the watering schedule to see if I can get them to do something other than grow the gorgeous scented leaves they've been growing up to this point.
My Orange trees have been growing in an interesting manner. I've begun the process of turning them into Bonsai trees. I snipped a few suckers off and waited for the new ones to come in where I like. So far, they're both doing well considering I hacked off sizable branches from both. I still have a ways to go before I'm completed but I figured I'd give them a chance to force out new branches before I get cut happy again.
The Aloe Vera, both my cousin's held plants and my own are doing well. My cousin's plants I rooted for her are doing so well, I don't know what to do with them. They're getting so big now that I'm running out of room for them in their present locations. I'm going to get a nice big pot for them and sink them into some fresh soil. I have confidence that they'll take.
The coleus, due to lack of space, is still sitting in water but even those are shooting up like crazy. I'm going to clip them a bit tomorrow to encourage their branching out.
The Lemongrass...wow! I had no idea it would get so out of control when I grew those seeds. Initially, it only grew a small amount before dying back. I never thought it would get much bigger than that inital growth. I'm glad to have been wrong though. While it's not growing straight up, it's almost as long as I am tall. It's presently draping itself over other plants and trying to grow through the shades on my windows again this year. I think I need a bigger pot for it all.
The Snake plant is growing well, as are the satellite Snake plants downstairs. I still have those water rooted cuttings in the medicine bottle and they all still seem to be alive.
Last but not least, coming full circle, the other African Violet plant. It's thriving despite the loss of several of its leaves in growth experiments. I'm hoping it will bloom again this year and put on an even heavier amount of growth than it already has.
That's all. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow of everything I've mentioned. :)
Last edited: Sun May 03, 2015 10:24 pm
This blog entry has been viewed 186 times
You're reading one of many blogs on GardenStew.com.
Register for free and start your own blog today.
Entries by Category All Categories