Recent Entries to this Blog Another Garden Lesson
Posted: 15 Dec 2019
Posted: 11 Oct 2019
For The Love of Cows
Posted: 10 Jun 2019
A Family Adventure
Posted: 03 Jun 2019
RV Living
Posted: 17 May 2019

All Entries


Category: Life As I Know It | Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:16 am

I have had an MRI before, so I wasn't worried about it yesterday. I arrived on time and went in feeling pretty good. I laid on the table and the tech explained that there were two tests. The first would be about ten minutes and the second would be thirty.

She put the headphones on my head and then moved this mirror thing in front of my face. It reflected the scene just outside the window and actually gave the impression of opening up the space. She moved me into the machine and I had a view of the the roadway and some trees and a small apartment complex. I couldn't even tell that I was inside of a small tube.

I thought I would be okay, but after the noise started I broke out in sweat and suddenly heard my voice go, "Oh!"

My insides knotted up and I recognized the signs of a panic attack. I had the call button in my hand, but decided to push through. I kept telling myself that I could do it. I looked in the mirror outside and started counting the number of red cars that went by. Anything to get my mind off of the MRI. I heard the tech tell me to stay still. Time dragged on. Finally she said, "The first test is over. Are you okay?"

I responded, "You mean we're not done?"

There was a short pause then, "I'm coming in."

She slid me out of the tube and took everything off of my head. The air was welcome to my lungs. I asked again if we were done. To my dismay, that was only the ten minute part. There were still thirty minutes left.

I broke down. Tears welled up in my eyes. The panic once again started to ratchet up.

That was the worst part of it. After about a five minute break I calmed down some. She gave me options. Call the doc for a sedative and come back later or reschedule for the bigger, open MRI. I made the decision to try again. I already had to take off work and I didn't want to leave and come back. Mostly, I want to know if something is wrong with me.

So, taking deep breaths and quoting scripture to myself, I went back into the tube. This time was much better and I somehow managed to get through it. However, this morning my insides are still shaky. But I did it! Thank God, I did it.

This blog entry has been viewed 223 times
You're reading one of many blogs on
Register for free and start your own blog today.



Henry Johnson wrote on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:12 pm:

I, for one, totally understand. My claustrophobia makes doing MRI in the small machine very difficult, I can handle the larger tube used for CT scans alright.. Hang in there, Eclectic, 'til you get to the cause of the vision problems..
Praying for you, Hank...


eclecticgarden wrote on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm:

Thanks Hank.


Frank wrote on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:50 am:

I dread the day I ever have to take an MRI as like yourself and Henry above. I have mild claustrophobia also. I think it's a symptom of an overactive imagination. You get stuck in a loop of thoughts.

Glad you were able to get through it EG


Netty wrote on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:07 pm:

Way to go, not an easy thing to do!

Leave a Comment

Login or register to leave a comment.