My Tomato Journey Conclusion

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, May 21, 2023.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Continue from - The Salad Fest is Not Happening. (gardenstew.com)

I did the final harvest of the toms yesterday or rather I decided to stop this journey. I also wanted the space to plant bitter gourd which I had not had a awhile now. They are just about the size of large cherry tomato.
    [​IMG]

I did harvested about another 6 earlier for a salad to go with pork steak for dinner a couple of days ago. They are not sweet and not that sour, well at least we get to eat some :)

This is how they look like before I yank them out, miserable right!
    [​IMG]
    They are no more than 24inches tall.

The roots were not plenty and Melody Mc did a great observation from her own experience which I believe that is why the roots here were so sparse. We are having heat wave here with temperature up to about 36°C.
    [​IMG]
    The one on the left broke while I was taking it out. It is the same size as the others.

In conclusion I have learned so much more about planting tomato and I guess I will have to take another journey, maybe at the end of the year when the weather is a little cooler. Thank you all for joining me in this learning journey.

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@KK Ng, I'm sad to see your tomato difficulty.

I don't know your local pests and diseases, but around here, roots like that would be due to soil creatures or diseases.

Is it possible to try growing in a sterilized potting soil? I would love to see if that would do better.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Hi KK Ng, Zigs and I were just having a chat about your tomatoes, and we were thinking that - especially due to the very hot temperatures, it might help next time to plant them deeper. Taking the bottom shoots off altogether they could then throw out more roots and be better protected. Another thought - if you can get hold of shade netting and fix up a shady canopy would give the plants some protection from the sun. Are you able to get the feed ''Tomorite'' there?[​IMG] Better luck next time.

Jewell, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Such disappointing news. Daniel and Tetters have some good suggestions for you. The main thing is, not to give up. Even though it is so violently warm there, there must be a period when you can have some success.

You could try growing your toms in a bag of commercial soil. Here’s how I did it a couple of times on the balcony of where I used to live:
    https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/veggies-in-containers.8753/#post-82043

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    Tetters and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

@KK Ng Ooo just had a brain freeze…is there a way to grow tomatoes that would have a better chance at growing?
    I found this link…
    Growing tomatoes in the tropics.
    https://tropicalfoodgarden.com/growing-tomatoes-in-the-tropics/

The link may not work it’s in the US. Or maybe to find a link that connects with other gardeners in your city that grows tomatoes . I have read that many people grow tomatoes in your country. Some tomato gardeners there have said they grow them on their patios in pots and many otherS grow the grape sized tomatoes. They claim that tomato plants are like perennials in your country.
    Hopefully you can connect with someone there that can share their tomato growing process with you.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

One thing I know the Stewbies are determined to get KK tomatoes for his salad. So it has been said so shall it be......

Jewell, Frank, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Too right, Clay.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you all, it makes me want to start another batch of a different species :)

No Daniel it was not because of pest, I thought of that before and you can read about it here - Project Tomato - Update (gardenstew.com) I believe it is just the heat. No I would not go that far to sterilised potting soil.

Tetters that is a good suggestion to plant it deeper but I just wonder whether the roots can grow in a deeper environment. Anyway I guess I have to try to find out :)
    Melody did suggest shade netting but I was happy with I did. I prefer to reuse and repurpose what I have instead of buying new things even the cost is low.
    No we do not have 'Tomorite' here. Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes it is really disappointing Sjoerd and no I am not giving up! Sorry no I will not try commercial soil mix but thanks for the suggestion.
    I do agree that the factor here is the very warm climate.

Pacnorwest thanks for the link, there are some nice suggestion there.

Yes you are so right Clay, I have been doing this for more than a decade :)

Jewell, Clay_22, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Right then KK— I am glad to hear that you will not give up. A long time ago when I first started trying to grow toms, I tried for four years in a row without success. Everything went well but when the fruits turned red, the plants turned brown and collapsed. It was Phytophthora.

After four years I had had enough disappointment, so I told the Bride that we would do without toms that I was quitting. Later on, she suggested trying them in a greenhouse. I was sceptical, but tried it one last time with the understanding that if they failed, that would be the end.

Well, it did work and the rest is history.

Just keep trying.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and Tetters like this.
  11. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

KK the roots will be fine if they are deeper. They will have extra roots growing from the nodes on the plants where the bottom leaves are taken off. This should make your plants a bit stronger. Tomorite is especially for tomatoes, and it is high in Potassium - this makes better fruit, rather than leaves. I wonder if you can get something similar where you are?

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you for the very encouraging words, Yes I will continue but with a different species. Will start looking for it soon :)

Thanks Tetters, I'll keep that in mind. Talking of potassium I understand that banana peel is a very good source for it naturally. Yes I can get a good supply of it from the banana fritters or 'goreng pisang' seller down the road. I used to get it form him until the pandemic started, I'll go see him this evening.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Jewell, Pacnorwest and Tetters like this.
  13. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Where there's a will - there's a way. I'm sure you'll be showing off some wonderful tomatoes very soon. Good luck!
    PS - unable to connect to your link :(

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Jewell, Pacnorwest, Tetters and 2 others like this.
  16. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Wow - that's better. There is so much on this link to explore. I went straight to the Australia link, as there are so many photos on there which are very familiar to me. I have a photo somewhere of me taken by the three sisters in the blue mountains when I lived near there (when I was young)
    I will explore the other links in there too. Thank you for that. I really fancy a banana fritter now :drool:
    We have tasted a lot of Malaysian food in the food halls around Sydney harbour. There are so many, and we loved the food.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    Pacnorwest likes this.