Blog Author
KK Ng
(view profile)
Recent Entries to this Blog Project Tomato - It's Yummy
Posted: 25 Oct 2014
Project Tomato - Update
Posted: 03 Oct 2014
Project Tomato - It's Flowering
Posted: 23 Sep 2014
Project Tomato - YIKES!!! I have a problem!!!
Posted: 19 Sep 2014
Project Tomato - All Planted
Posted: 07 Sep 2014

All Entries
 


Itching

Category: Aquaponics | Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Last Sunday I was really itching to setup the grow bed to check whether it is possible to make use of the exsisting hole or not even though I am not sure I have the hardwares or not. After sending the children to the bus station for their return to their respective college/university, I decided to just cut open one of the drums for the grow bed to see how it is.


Grow Bed ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
Got the drum opened as plan and it was quite easy after getting some experience opening the big drum for the fish tank. Incidentally, the 2 pieces of hack saw broke while I was cutting the fish tank, they were really brittle and snap real easy. I took the blade from my hack saw and used it ..... have to make a note to get another for spare.

After having done that, there was about another two hours to dinner and not wanting to do weeding, I started going through my old stuffs to look for pipe fitting. I guess the itching was too great to be supressed.

After digging around for awhile, I found my old surf-casting fishing rod holder which I made from pipe fittings and broom handle. Since I had not gone fishing for a very long while now I decided to dismantle it and make use of the parts together with whatever left over pvc pipes and fittings I had collected over the years from my house maintenance.


Perfect ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
Luck was with me cause there was a short section of the 42mm dia. pipe, cut of the broken end and got a lenght that should be ideal. The fit was perfect, I have to tap it in quite a bit.


Fitted with reduction adapter ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
I did not have reduction elbow of the right size so I have to make use of reduction joint before the reduction elbow.


Unexpected design ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
I tried making use of the design that I thought of earlier but was unable to do so cause it was either unworkable or there was not enough hardware. I decided to do a quick fix and make use of a section of my old PVC flexible hose.


It Worked!!!!!! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
HEY!!! IT WORKED!!! Not only it worked, it worked real well. I guess making use of flexible hose would be more flexible for me to set up the reurn piping.


Inside setup ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )
This is the remaining water from the backwash when the siphon was broken. I guess it is a acceptable amount of water left over.

Now to make a shopping list to get all the grow beds fitted so that I can get on with setting up the water feed and return piping.





This blog entry has been viewed 1720 times
You're reading one of many blogs on GardenStew.com.
Register for free and start your own blog today.


Comments

 

Jerry Sullivan wrote on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:22 pm:


Hi KK,

Looking good! It's nice when ideas work well. Good luck shopping for parts. Buy plenty of hacksaw blades:-)




 

KK Ng wrote on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:07 pm:


Thanks Jerry, have not gone shopping yet!





Leave a Comment


Login or register to leave a comment.