Blog Author
(view profile)
Recent Entries to this Blog It's Fall already!
Posted: 08 Oct 2015
Moving Day is approaching!
Posted: 04 Mar 2015
2015 already!
Posted: 01 Jan 2015
It's been a great while!
Posted: 30 Dec 2014
An anniversary comes but once a year!
Posted: 27 Aug 2014

All Entries

dooley's Blog

End of a strange week!

Category: Daily Happenings | Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:32 pm

This is Wednesday. Last Wednesday we were anticipating going to the airport to pick up wannabe for a few days vacation. We had plans of a sort but nothing definite. The airline messed things up and she didn't arrive until Saturday night. The weather messed up and it was really cold Saturday and Sunday so we stayed inside where it was reasonably warm. She rested a lot of the time but we were able to talk about a lot of things. We talked to most of the members of our extended family who called to see how she was feeling. Monday she got up rested so we went for a ride to Trinity and she took lots of pictures. I didn't take any sad to say. Maybe I'll do it another time. We stopped for lunch and she wasn't feeling real good after so we came home and took a nap.Yesterday she was feeling better and it was nice outside and 70 degs so we sat out on the front porch in the sunshine. There was some breeze but we stayed out. It wasn't too cold. This morning we got up and took her to the airport to go home. We stayed until she was on the plane. Now, we are waiting for a call, saying she got home okay. Another hour or so should do it. Due to the airline goof her vacation was cut short by three days but we had a good time talking while she was here and that was mostly what we had planned.
Now, we will be buckling down and taking things apart and packing and building and moving to the new house. First, we need decks in place so we can get into the house. Tammy is using steps that are rather steep and I can't move things in and out using those. We need some fences so we can contain Chance. I know there is no law in the county about keeping your dogs contained but Chance has never been allowed to run loose and won't be here either. There are about a dozen other dogs running all over the place so a fence in place is a must. So, we will be busy in the next few weeks. If I disappear for a bit it will because we are getting things moved and reconnected. It will be nice to get down there so we can commence to do things we want to do which is make it our living space. Wannabe bought me some plants at Home Depot which I want to get planted. I think we will get our patio built under the cedar trees and maybe we'll call it wannabe park. lol. We'll see how it turns out. For now, it's drizzling. It drizzled on us all the way home. But, the next 8 days are going to be sunny so we'll be out and about and busy.
We'll keep things updated as we can.

This blog entry has been viewed 406 times

Water, water almost there.

Category: Daily Happenings | Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:45 am

Howard got stuck out on the road for the weekend and he was going to do the water lines. This morning Tammy and her dad showed up and began laying the lines. Brian went out to help. John is 76 years old but insisted he could do it. He worked steady all day and had the main line done when Tammy's son-in-law showed up and started helping him. They have a main water line to each home now, but still have outside water lines to do. They are most important for watering gardens and flowers. I walked down and started sorting the big pile of brush and the trash the trim man left. Lots of white plastic and some good lumber we can use for shelves, etc.
They will be back tomorrow to do some more things. There isn't too much we can do to help but I can move some more trees, maybe.
This morning I cleaned house before they shut the water off. That is done for another week or so. Wannabe will be here on Thursday. I have to go to the doctor before we go to the airport. I'm getting ready for her visit. I can't wait for the days to pass.

This blog entry has been viewed 335 times

Small trees and helpful kids!

Category: Daily Happenings | Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:02 am

I've been planning on trying to dig small trees that are growing around the crepe myrtle and tulip tree in the yard and the Althea (Rose of Sharon). I went to tell Tammy (who owns it all) what I was going to do. She was waiting for the electric company. (They never showed up.)She said she had never tried to do it and wanted to help. I told her I had never tried it either so we would both be working in the dark, so to speak. I had the orange buckets that I had tomatoes planted in and some flower pots and we filled them with a mixture of potting soil, sand and mushroom compost. We had a little help. She had a two year old granddaughter and a four year old grandson with her and they wanted to help. Of course the large spades were too big for them to handle and we kept getting hit with the handles when they swung them around. I went and found a small shovel and a garden trowel and gave one to each of them. Tammy told them to have at it and we stood back and watched as they finished filling the buckets with the compost. Then, we moved the buckets to the tulip tree and pushed the garden cart of compost down to the lots and they filled the pots with sand and compost. Tammy loaded the pots into the garden cart and pulled it back up the hill. We found that the little trees around the tulip tree have no roots of their own. So, we cut them off and put them into the buckets. We also snipped off pieces of the flowering quince and put them into the pots. We moved them up by the front of the house. Tammy had to go to work. dr and I went to town to get some rooting hormone. We couldn't find any. So, we came home and stopped at Glenda's to talk to the man installing the high speed internet for her. It's a satellite system and we are thinking of getting one once we get moved down the hill and Tammy is thinking of getting one, too. I ask Tammy why she needed one. She doesn't have a computer. She said she'd buy one and I could show her how to use it. (Keep my mouth shut) Anyway, Glenda had some rooting hormone that was a powder..She said just dip the cut end into it and stick it back in the bucket or pot. Sh, I came home and pulled each one out and stuck it in the hormone powder and stuck it back in it's container and then took the hose and watered them good. Now, we just see if they grow. I'm sure we won't be able to plant anything until fall because they will need time to develop their root system. Cross your fingers that it works because of course neither of us had done it and I don't think our helpers had done it before either.
They did have some fun with my little three wheel seat that I can sit on and roll along the flower bed when I pull weeds. Better on the knees. They could sit on it but needed to push each other because their legs were too short to push themselves. Needless to say it ended in a free for all because kids that age are all about me and not about taking turns. The seat went back onto the porch and Callie went home to mom for a nap.They are cute kids and are so very helpful.

Last edited: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:02 am

This blog entry has been viewed 346 times

Septic's done!!

Category: Daily Happenings | Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 am

Today, the septic people spent from 9 am until 6 pm but the septic system is all in for all three homes. It's an aerobic system and has two big tanks and three smaller tanks and miles of pipes going every which way. I hope when the electric company comes tomorrow to hook the service poles to the transformer they don't drive over anything important. It's all marked pretty well. dr and I walked down to check it out after they left. They made a trench for the water lines too so now Rufus doesn't have to dig that by hand.
I think once the electric company comes tomorrow that is all the outside contractor work. Then comes laying and hooking up water lines, building decks and skirting each home.
I planted the rose bush that Glenda brought over on Tuesday into a pot because I don't know when I will get it planted or the other 10 that I bought (?)
I mixed up plant food and watered them all. I trimmed back my herbs where little portions froze during the winter. I trimmed the gardenia bushes back some. They were green most of the winter but the last freeze got them. It went down to 10 degs. They are still green inside and some small green shoots were coming up from the bottom so I cut off the dead shoots. I took some pictures of the wildflowers that are in the yard so will try to get them done tomorrow. Things are coming along now but it's not moving time yet.

This blog entry has been viewed 324 times

All in one day!

Category: Daily Happenings | Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:31 am

I woke up to sunshine today after a night of thunder and lightning and heavy rain. We went into town to the post office and stopped and had breakfast. When we got home there was much activity down on the lots. The movers were back to level the third home. It's a three bedroom so it's long and wide, too. The trim guy was back to work on the double wide. He was having problems because they delivered the wrong panels to fix the ends. The electric people were there putting in service poles and boxes for each home.
Tammy was there answering questions and directing things. Howard was there delivering parts to the electrician and the trim guy. Tammy had two grandchildren, ages 2 and 4 with her and a little dog was running around. There was general chaos in abundance but everyone seemed to know what they were doing. The electric should be all hooked up by Friday. They have ours and Tammy's done but need to do the third one and they couldn't do it with the movers still working on it. We were back and forth doing this and that to help where we could but with all the workers we were just in the way sometimes. We did deliver water and ice to the workers. It turned out to be 78 degs. here today and drinks ran out early. The movers finished leveling the third home and got ready to leave and their truck wouldn't start. Tammy went door to door until she found someone with jumper cables and they got a jump from Tammy's daughter who showed up to take her kids back.
Then, the electric went out all over the neighborhood. The electricians claimed they didn't do it because they weren't yet hooked into the main line. It turns out it was a pole a few miles away that got hit by a car, we think. The electric was out a little over two hours. The septic system person delivered three tanks and said he had some more stuff to bring and would be back on Thursday or Friday.
Tammy's son came to dig water line trenches but it was getting dark so he's coming back tomorrow. Weather forecast for tomorrow, thunderstorms in the AM, some severe. Then, sunny for a few days. So, the septic should go in on Friday, the electric company should hook up the service boxes on Friday, the trim guy should be able to do the outside of the double wide on Friday. The water lines go in after the septic.
Things are going to be like a three ring circus for the next week or so and then things can start to happen. But, wannabe is coming on the 18th so we aren't moving until the end of the month.
We can start some serious packing and getting things ready now.
We have plans, Tammy has plans and Tammy's father has plans. He will move last because they want to some remodeling on the third home before he moves into it.
I don't know what to do first. Glenda brought me a rose bush today for a friendship present. It will have yellow flowers on it. I will put it in a pot like the other ten until we decide where to put it and get the yard prepared for planting things.
I think the waiting is done and things are moving at a serious pace now.
It's a bit exciting and a little scary.
Oh, and in between things I sewed two tote bags, too.

Last edited: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 am

This blog entry has been viewed 380 times

Three down and they are all moved!

Category: Daily Happenings | Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:00 pm

The third mobile home was moved yesterday and I think the men moving it were very happy to have it here. We decided by noon it wasn't coming so we went into town and had a sandwich and went to the library and stopped at the thrift store. It was nearly three when we started for home. Yep! You are right! The movers were stuck on the corner where we had to turn to our house. No way around them. No other way home. We sat and waited. They finally had to pull past the corner and back it across the corner yard. They backed it the other mile and a little to the lot. It was drizzling rain and not a nice afternoon. I bet if they hadn't started it moving they would just have liked to have left it right in the middle of everything. They parked it in it's place and left. I expect they will be around later to do the setup work on it. It's going to be raining the rest of the week but maybe next week the utility work can begin. Tammy said she'd been working on this since October and she can't wait for it to be over. But, just because all the homes are moved doesn't mean it's over. There is still lots of things to be done. The work is still on-going. It's going to be too wet on our lot this morning because it's at the bottom of the slope. We are going to have to get some rock for the driveway and get some plants growing to keep from sinking into the ground. It seems to be mainly sand so lots of additives, too.
I could use a pair of knees that work better but I expect I'll make do with what I have.

This blog entry has been viewed 341 times

Two down, one to go!

Category: Yard work! | Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:21 am

Two weeks ago today, the mobile home we are going to move into rolled past our house and was set up on the lot down the hill. Yesterday morning, the double wide that goes onto the next lot arrived. That leaves one more to come before they can do the utilities and every one can then begin to move stuff around. I had never seen a double wide mobile home arrive and get put together and leveled. It was very interesting. It came in two sections pulled by large trucks. At the top of the slope they undid the big trucks and hooked one of those remote controlled dozers onto the front. The little dozer pulled that half of the double wide right down the slope into the place where it was going to be. Just a few minor moves back and forth and it went back for the second half. Same thing, right down the hill and into place, exactly where it needed to be to be shifted into place next to the first half to be bolted together into one house. It was about two feet away from the first half so the guys could have room to work on getting it leveled and the wheels removed and drop it onto the cement block foundation pieces. A large flatbed trailer pulled by a big truck came down the slope with all the pieces necessary for leveling it and putting the foundation blocks into place and getting everything hooked up and put together. Those four guys worked from 9 am to 6 pm and I never saw them sit down. They each knew what they had to do and in what order and they just march around doing it a bit at a time. I told one of them that I was very happy I didn't have their job. They were lifting and carrying those cement blocks, 4 at a time. I can only carry one at a time. It was amazing. They stacked the cement blocks four high on the fender of the flatbed trailer. They backed up to them, picked up the bottom block and bent forward and carried those four blocks on their backs to where they wanted them and then leaned back and dropped them one at a time where they wanted them to go. I never saw the like before. They lay flat on their back under those half pieces of the double wide and build pillars out of those cement blocks, lifting them one at a time into place. They must have great arm strength. I do hope they get paid well for the work. They must be very tired when they get home. We left about one thirty and went to lunch. They may have taken a lunch break while we were gone but they were still going at a steady pace. It's all in place, leveled and bolted together and the roof pieces put into place so it won't leak if it decides to rain, which is very likely. Monday the trim people will arrive and trim out the outside so you won't be able to tell it's two pieces. They'll do the same thing inside. Then, they'll skirt the bottom to look like a foundation and it will look just like a house instead of a mobile home. It's beautiful. I spent the time raking up and moving the brush I had cut earlier in the week. Today, I took my loppers down and made another mess to clean up tomorrow. You can't cut it and clean it up in the same day. Too much work! I'm sure those guys would have it all done by now.
This evening we stopped by some friends and we bought ten climbing rose bushes to plant on the dividing fence when we get one. First, all of the utilities have to be installed and the decks built and things moved. All of Tammy's things are in the mobile home we will be living in and she will move them to the double wide when she is given the keys which will be when all the trim stuff is done. If it isn't pouring rain the other mobile home will be moved on Monday morning. If it's raining it probably will have to wait until the end of the week.
But, it was exciting to watch those men move those two big pieces and get it assembled into a house. I'm glad it wasn't me doing all that work though.

This blog entry has been viewed 406 times

A windy day!

Category: Daily Happenings | Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:27 am

It rained all of Sunday night and all day yesterday and most of last night. I was really happy to wake up to sunshine this morning. The forecast said it would be 58 degs and that's not so bad. Except it was really windy. We couldn't do much outside because it was too cold. Both dr and I have runny noses tonight and I'm blaming the wind. dr washed clothes and hung them out. The wind is good for drying clothes when it's combined with sunshine.
I cleaned house and packed some things that were somehow sitting all over the counters so every time I wanted to use the counter I have to move the stuff. Now, I can see the counters again. I sorted magazines into keep and toss piles. The toss piles will probably go to the thrift shop. I sewed two tote bags and a kitchen apron. One tote bag was red with a lining with little animals doing their colors. Cute for someone just learning about colors.
The apron is yellow. I have another one to sew tomorrow. I may do a blue garden apron tomorrow, too.
I was making Cornish pasties for supper yesterday and just popped them into the oven when my next youngest brother called. He was going from Houston to Fort Smith, Arkansas and was about 30 miles south of us. He said if we'd meet him in town he'd buy us supper. So, I let the pies finish cooking and cooled them and that's what we had for supper tonight.
I don't see my brother too often. I think I saw him about this time last year when he was coming from Houston, going to pick up a load in Dallas and heading who knows where from there. He drives most everywhere. He retired a couple of years ago and got bored and went back to work. He tries to take more time off now than he did but the company doesn't take kindly to that so he might change companies.
We spent a couple of hours catching up on this and that and he finally said he had to go get in the back of his truck and get a few hours sleep. We came on home through the rain. Our dirt road was awash with water in spots and ruts in other spots. I drove down the middle so I didn't slide into the ditch. Good thing it isn't a busy road. I didn't meet anyone, coming or going.
I hope the wind dried things out some so we can get out and do something tomorrow with out getting into the mud or blowing away.

This blog entry has been viewed 418 times

More brush clearing!

Category: Yard work! | Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:20 am

It was another nice day so we started it by going out for breakfast. It made us late getting down to work on clearing the brush. When we got down there, it was still there so we started in with the loppers and the rake. I started moving the piled up brush back to the area where we will burn it on a day that's not windy or raining. We didn't get as much accomplished as we wished because Tammy (landlady) came with her father to bring some skirting and stuff for the mobile home he will be moving into. dr and her father stood at the back of the truck and talked and Tammy helped me move some more brush. We talked about what might go where and how we might do it and she also cautioned us not to do too much. One would think we were "old" retired people. But, we do know when to quit, even if there is still stuff to be done. It will still be there on Wednesday or Thursday when the rain comes and goes for the week. Maybe it will go for the week anyway.
Sometimes it seems to stay for the week.
So, tomorrow I will sew since I cut a tubful of new things to sew. Hopefully I won't goof up and sew something backwards again. I hate that!

This blog entry has been viewed 307 times

You're reading one of many blogs on
Register for free and start your own blog today.

Archives All Entries
August 2022
July 2022
June 2022
May 2022
April 2022
March 2022
February 2022
January 2022
December 2021
November 2021
October 2021
September 2021
August 2021
July 2021
June 2021
May 2021
April 2021
March 2021
February 2021
January 2021
December 2020
November 2020
October 2020
September 2020
August 2020
July 2020
June 2020
May 2020
April 2020
March 2020
February 2020
January 2020
December 2019
November 2019
October 2019
September 2019
August 2019
July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005